Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   1989 s10 blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/1989-s10-blazer-97470/)

Moliver1327 08-05-2018 12:13 PM

1989 s10 blazer

The front wheels are getting hot and seems like there is dragging happening when I’m driving it, when I got it parked it was smoking and it smelled like the breaks. What could be causing this? Thank you

christine_208 08-05-2018 05:00 PM

The guide rods for the calipers could be sticking on the calipers so that the pads are always in contact with the rotors.

Moliver1327 08-05-2018 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 693840)
The guide rods for the calipers could be sticking on the calipers so that the pads are always in contact with the rotors.

i took those off and checked them and cleaned them really good, and the breaks are still compressed not allowing the wheel to spin. When I press the break and release it the wheel won’t spin freely then I wait and they will slowly but not all the way release.

christine_208 08-05-2018 10:57 PM

I think I've heard of the pistons on the calipers getting stuck. You might need new calipers. How thick are the pads?

Moliver1327 08-06-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 693851)
I think I've heard of the pistons on the calipers getting stuck. You might need new calipers. How thick are the pads?

that may be it, I heard you can rebuild them but I’d say it would be better just to replace them as old as they are. As for the pads I guess there standard, I replaced the pads about 5 months ago and it just recently started doing this.

Tom A 08-06-2018 12:20 PM

Is it possible that your brake fluid got contaminated with oil?

error_401 08-07-2018 07:43 AM

Oil in the brake hydraulics could cause your calipers to stick if the system was filled and bled with it. Some oils may make the rubber gaskets in the system swell.
But normally never heard of that.

Most of the time it is simple corrosion that has corroded the cylinders in the caliper. Once you wear the pads and disc down at some point the brake pistons reach the corroded area and stick. Sometimes (depending on the type of caliper - and the use of the respective guide and manual) the outer dust-rubber boots can be removed and the brake pistons and cylinders are visible.

The brakes must release completely when you release the pedal, else it is a serious issue because the pads will drag.

Replacing the calipers with reman ones is usually the way to go. Depending on how badly damaged, the repair will be out of the scope of a DIY repair.

Tom A 08-07-2018 07:48 AM

I once had to fix a truck after the driver topped off the master cylinder with ATF and drove it for a week. Every rubber part in the whole system was swollen to about twice its normal size. It was pretty ugly.

Moliver1327 08-07-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by error_401 (Post 693909)
Oil in the brake hydraulics could cause your calipers to stick if the system was filled and bled with it. Some oils may make the rubber gaskets in the system swell.
But normally never heard of that.

Most of the time it is simple corrosion that has corroded the cylinders in the caliper. Once you wear the pads and disc down at some point the brake pistons reach the corroded area and stick. Sometimes (depending on the type of caliper - and the use of the respective guide and manual) the outer dust-rubber boots can be removed and the brake pistons and cylinders are visible.

The brakes must release completely when you release the pedal, else it is a serious issue because the pads will drag.

Replacing the calipers with reman ones is usually the way to go. Depending on how badly damaged, the repair will be out of the scope of a DIY repair.

mom going to buy new calipers today and try that and I’ll let you know how that goes! Thank you for the help