1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1991 blazer fishing rig

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Greg Meyer is on a distinguished road
Default 1991 blazer fishing rig

Hi Guys, Im new ! I just wanted some input from you guys.

I have a 1991 s10 blazer TBI. The body has 203k on it. New tranny less than 30K. I use it for fishing and hunting (Just need point a to point b). The body has a some typical blazer rust. I just replaced the four wheel drive actuator cable so i got my 4 wheel drive back!

Then i think the head gasket blew. Im gaining oil.. If I run it with the cap off the radiator i get bubbles and i get the notorious white cloud and sweet smell.. I started digging into the motor yesterday and got most of the componets off (AC, Alt, radiator, spark plugs out.. theormastat) I'm battling the power stearing pump STUPID bolt on the back side!

I got the tstat out and I see some nasty sludge oil and antifreeze. I havn't got the valve covers off yet.. I am starting to wonder what I am getting myself into.

I plan on getting the heads off tomorrow and seeing what it looks like.. If i am going this deep what else should i plan on replacing? I don't want to sink a boat load of money into it. Again I just want it for fishing and hunting. Do you guys think all new gaskets will work or do I need to look into cam \ pistons etc?

Also any tips on getting the heads off would be greatly appreciated. I will post pics and video on this if I can figure it out haha!

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't run it much with antifreeze in the oil, you shouldn't have done any harm to the bottom end.

While you have the heads off, I would have them checked for flatness & trued up if necessary. Also, pull the valve springs & replace the valve seals & check the guides for wear. If any of the valves are loose, I would have the guides replaced & a valve job done. If they all seem pretty tight, then clean the valves up really well and lap them in with some valve grinding compound. Reinstall with the new seals & then put them back on the engine.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

I appreciate the reply!

I planned on taking the heads values in and having them checked and . I think while I have everything tore apart I will replace all the vacuum hoses and bolts and other hoses. Anything else you can think of that I should do while I have everything apart? This thing has 203k miles on it... Hopefully I can get a few more k miles out of it.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Before digging too deep into it, you might want to check the compression just to see if the piston rings are still ok. If the compression is really low (below 100psi is what I would consider unhealthy low) on the cylinders that are not affected by the head gasket failure, you might want to consider a junkyard engine.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 AM

i already have most of the motor accessories off. Can I test this without putting everything back on?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Provided you still have the starter installed & connected, yes. Pull all of the spark plugs & the electrical connection to the coil & spin the motor over using the starter for each cylinder test.