1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1991 Chevy Blazer S-10 4x4, Digital Speedometer Problem

Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM
h84gotten is on a distinguished road
Default 1991 Chevy Blazer S-10 4x4, Digital Speedometer Problem

Hey all. I just recently bought a 1991 Chevrolet Blazer S-10, 4x4. It's been parked for a while and is running fine, but I noticed that the digital speedometer would turn on for a bit but then shutdown and not read out the speed. I've been trying to search for ways to fix it online, but haven't had much luck. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

which parts of the digital cluster go out, just the speedometer, or does the whole cluster go out? If the whole cluster goes out, you are looking at a whole rebuild. there is a guy here in MN, I can get you the link if you want, you take out your dash, send it to him, about a 3 day turn around for him to rebuild it and he sends it back for about 100, including shipping.

If everything goes out but the speed and the odo, then its just the power supply, the same guy sells a power supply rebuild kit with very detailed instructions, if you know how to solder any at all, the rebuild kit will fix the problem, and it is only 21 bucks shipped.

If its just the speedometer that goes out, it will need to be rebuilt like said at first.

I hope that this helps you out, if you want the guys ebay listing, PM me or just let me know in here and I will provide a link.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You can buy one for 200 from digitaldashsolutions.com and its totally rebuilt, not just a fix. I bought a new one for my truck from him. He even sent me it with 000,000km on the odometer!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

they are bad for going out.

You can always do a digital to analog conversion if you dont wanna spend alote of money. Its easy. just some wiring to do. if you can install a cd player,you can do it. Use this How-to i found online. Its for a analog to digital conversion,but use the wiring details and match em all up for what you need.
Instrument Cluster Conversion

Old 07-29-2012, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ohsofly
You can buy one for 200 from digitaldashsolutions.com and its totally rebuilt, not just a fix. I bought a new one for my truck from him. He even sent me it with 000,000km on the odometer!
The guy in MN rebuilds them completely for about 100, tests everything on there, finds out what is good, what is bad, replaces what is bad, and you get to keep your og miles.

Some of them do not need a full rebuild, often times its just a problem with the power supply. I can contest to that, my dash would fade out. flicker, and just turned off. all but the speedo, and the odo.. got the kit to repair the power supply, soldered in 3 parts that are common to go out, and re-soldered all the joints on the power supply, and put it back in the truck and its still working flawlessly.
This guy has been doing this stuff for i believe over 20 years is what he said when I talked to him on the phone.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Hey Richphotos, can you send me the link to the guys ebay listing?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran

I sent you a visitor message on your profile, I was unable to send you a PM, I am guessing because you only have 2 posts. let me know if you need anything else. good luck.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks a bunch richphotos! Just a quick update, after i got it back on the road, i just randomly hit the top of the dash and the speedometer came back on. After a while tho, it just turned back off. Any ideas?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

its just a bad cluster. its a common problem. have it repaired. i smacked mine for 3 months,then finally it died completely.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by h84gotten
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks a bunch richphotos! Just a quick update, after i got it back on the road, i just randomly hit the top of the dash and the speedometer came back on. After a while tho, it just turned back off. Any ideas?
Mine would do that for a bit then just went out.

I never saw which parts of the cluster go out specifically. Does the whole cluster go out, or just parts of it, and parts stay on?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Chevy Blazer S-10 4x4, Digital Speedometer Problem