1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1987 Blazer Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:59 AM
slipondajimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1987 Blazer Electrical problem

Hey everyone.

I believe I posted some time ago about my dash going out and taking my A/C with it. Well I am back with a second installment .

I got the dash working for a bit, how? Well I dont really know dammit

Well I few months ago it happened again. Today was the first time I have been able to check it out. I thought that this dash was a conversion. Well It does not really look like it. it all looks like a factory install that I can see. There does not appear to be any loose wires or anything like that.

The Blazer says 87 on the title. It appears to have a 4.3 (after several parts runs and returns becuase I was getting 2.8 stuff) I checked the fuseblock and I have been scratching my head for 20 minutes. Here is what I found after checking with a tester. With the key on I am not getting any power to the folowing fuses.

Power WDO (30A)
Heater/AC (25A)
Instrument LPS(5A)
And I think brake lights.

This was all in a row (up/down) on the fuseblock.

Does anyone know if there is another fuse of some sort that controls all of that? Or anything else I could look for?

I would like to get some AC back in this thing, and be able to see how much gas I have in the tank

Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Default RE: 1987 Blazer Electrical problem

Here are a few photos of the dash and fuse box. Not that it will help much. But whatever.

Here is a photo of the motor. Am I right in saying this is a 4.3?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you still have the emissions label on the radiator shroud? I do not show a 4.3L being available in a '87 blazer... How wide is the lower intake manifold? I guess it is possible that someone has swapped in a 4.3L...

On your fuse block troubles, well... I'm having a hard time finding anything in common with these circuits looking at the fuse block schematic other than possibly an internal fault in the fuse block itself...

One other thing. Please use the edit feature to include additional information in your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The emmisions label is not there. I purchased a thermostat a few days ago for a 2.8 and had to bring it back. The 88 4.3 thermostat was the correct one. So I guess someone swapped it at one time. As far as the fuseblock goes, I cant figure it out for nothing. Is there a chance that the fuseblock is bad? I was also looking at a diagram in a chiltons book and cant see anything that connects the things that have blown out.

I checked out a doc for a dash conversion, and even that has nothing to do with the Heat/AC. And it really does not look like the dash was converted from analog to digital.

And sorry about double posting.