1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

2wd to 4wd Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
Kevin.N.Odom is on a distinguished road
Default 2wd to 4wd Conversion

So after driving around in the snow and ice all day I've decided that my 2wd drive blazer wishes it was a 4 wheel drive.

So is it possible to convert a 94 blazer 2wd to 4wd?

If so can someone tell me all the parts I would need and and idea of a roundabout prie for the parts.

Could I do the conversion my self? I have a decent mechanical knowledge.

If I cant Could someone give me an idea on the price of labor to get a shop to do this.

thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not with out a LOT of work. The easiest method would be to do a solid front axle swap using a Dana 30 from a Jeep.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats going to be a ton of work... Just off the top of my head you would need:

New driveshafts x2
transfer case
4wd switch
front axles
4wd hubs
4wd spindles
prolly a crossmember for the front
remote oil filter relocation kit (4Wd have the O/F by the air filter box)
alot more things Im sure.

And your ride height would need to be changed... Its not a weekend job.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Not with out a LOT of work. The easiest method would be to do a solid front axle swap using a Dana 30 from a Jeep.
x10 or 12, your better off holding on to your blazer and trying to sell it in the summer. then look for a 4wd in the summer (they're usually cheaper then). your better off selling and buying then trying to swap out. its very very time consuming.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I would recommend just selling it and buying a 4x4. I dont think it would be worth the hassle to do it. It would probably cost more too. You would need a transfer case, front drive shaft, front diff, both axle shafts, different control arms, torsion bars, torsion bar cross member, different shocks, probably different steering knuckles. You will also need all the electrical parts including the 4x4 switch, TCCM and all the wiring for the tcase and front diff. Im sure there are a few things im missing too.

I was a few minutes late on that one. lol Thats what happens when I watch tv while posting

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the frames are different between the 2wd and 4wd so I would toss the idea of going with an IFS front end right out the window (which is why I mentioned a SFA swap). You would still need a transfer case and new driveshafts, but if you went with the NP231, there would be no electronics involved.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:49 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Well, the frames are different between the 2wd and 4wd so I would toss the idea of going with an IFS front end right out the window (which is why I mentioned a SFA swap). You would still need a transfer case and new driveshafts, but if you went with the NP231, there would be no electronics involved.

My thoughts also.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
Kevin.N.Odom is on a distinguished road

Ok So it would be a pain in the ***. But here's another question I found a nice 1st gen Blazer for saleon craigslist. Perfect Body no rust and already has a 4 inch lift on it. Has a high mile motor in it 160,xxx miles. Guy only wants 1600 for it. My Blazer has on 75,xxx miles on its motor could I just swap the motor from my 2wd to the 4wd? Then I'd put the high mileage motor in my 2wd and then I'd have 2 Blazers, One 4wd and one 2wd.

Both Blazers have a cpfi motor in it so it would be a direct swap right.?

Please correct me If I'm wrong cause I have the money to spend and I'd like to nab this 4wd blazer b4 someone else does.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Why not just drive them with the engine thats in?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by neo71665
Why not just drive them with the engine thats in?
x2. Why fix it if it isn't broke? I dont consider 160,000 high mileage...

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4wd Conversion