1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4x4 not working

Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
1965Chevy is on a distinguished road
Angry 4x4 not working

(1993 S10 Blazer Tahoe 4.3 automatic) I got this morning to play in the snow and found that my 4x4 no longer works . So I ended up stuck and had to get pulled out my buddies Ranger .....

I put the blazer into neutral and put it into 4 high the gears grind a bit and it feels like it goes in but the confirmation light doesn't light up, so I put into 4 low it made worse grinding sound then feels like it goes in but again no light. So pull it out of 4 low it grinds into neutral-4 high-2wheel.

wondering where I should start looking with the kiss (keep it simple stupid) approach.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member
TheRemedy is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe there is a vacuum actuator under the battery tray, from that there is a cable to the front differential. I have similar problems, I just haven't started to fix it yet.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member

sweet thanks I'll look into it.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

What a lot of guys do when you don't wish to fix the vacuum actuator is just take that cable and extend it into your cable with a cable form the bicycle store so that you can just pull it manually. However, upin closer inspection you may find that the vacuum lines are just cracked or broken between the actuator and manifold. Can replace those lines, or make a manual cable yourself.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member

I will most likely be making it manual, so I don't have to deal with all the vacuum lines. Thanks for the reply's guys they help a lot.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Before replacing anything, try this.. Pull the TCCM fuse under the dash (drivers side fuse panel) for 30 minutes at least, longer if you forget about it.

After at least 30 minutes, put the fuse back in, and cycle the key on and off 5 times

just to the on position, not starting the truck.
Turn the key on, watch the 4wd lights, once they blink once like they usually do, turn the key off, repeat 5 times.
This will reset the rom/ram on the tccm. If that does not fix the problem, there is more of a problem.

Report back with what you find.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Beginning Member

awesome it works great after doing the fuse... thanks! another question how do I check the transfer case fluid/what fluid do i use? It grinds every time i out it in and take it out of 4hi/4lo.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Starting Member
Skitzoape is on a distinguished road

i used my 4wheel drive yesterday morning then has to use it again in the evening, it worked fine in the morning but in the evening the lights on the button flashed then went off and nothing. when i start it the button flashes but nothing when pressed. thing the fuse technique would fix this or is it something else?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Skitzoape
i used my 4wheel drive yesterday morning then has to use it again in the evening, it worked fine in the morning but in the evening the lights on the button flashed then went off and nothing. when i start it the button flashes but nothing when pressed. thing the fuse technique would fix this or is it something else?
I would try the fuse, do as I described in my last post, and see what results that you have, and report back.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1965Chevy
awesome it works great after doing the fuse... thanks! another question how do I check the transfer case fluid/what fluid do i use? It grinds every time i out it in and take it out of 4hi/4lo.
I am glad that worked for you, it seems as if the TCCM has windows for an operating system LOL
It gets confused easily, so will need a reboot ever so often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 not working