1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

700r4 trans only has reverse and first gear.pls help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
1986k5blazer is on a distinguished road

my 86 k 5 only has reverse and first. what can be wrong with it??????

i was told reverse and first were the only gears that worked but when i got it going yesterday i found that i can put it in all the gears and move it. the only problem i noticed is sometimes it makes a buzzing sound and there are some wires on it that are unpluged. my ? is what is the sound and why would the wire be unpluged the trans is in a 86 k blazer.

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-27-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Merged duplicate posts.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Classic symptoms of a broken governor gear. The governor is located under the cap on the driver side of the transmission case towards the rear. I cannot remember exactly, but I believe the cover is an interference fit to the case, but there may also be a wire retainer over the cover. Just work slow with a flat blade screw driver and do not drive the screw driver into the cover or you could damage it. Pry it slowly working your way around like you would trying to open a can of paint.

Once the cover is off, the replacement is pretty straight forward.

The real trick to this repair is getting the cover back on. Space may not be available to swing a hammer to get it back in place. If that is the case on your truck, you may want to try either a long pry bar against the underside of the body or a 2x4 to pry it back into place. If all else fails, you can remove the transmission cross member and lower the back of the transmission down to gain more room. Just be careful not to hit the distributor on the firewall.

*EDIT* to respond to the latest information added above:

Putting it in all gears and moving it is far from having all gears working. If the governor is bad, you will be able to move in R, OD, D, 2, & 1, but the transmission will never shift out of 1st gear when in a forward gear. The buzzing could be the broken governor gear against the output shaft gear.

And what wires are unplugged? The only thing that unplugged wires should affect on the 700R4 is lockup operation. Especially on the 86 and earlier 700R4's.