1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

85 carb and coil set up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 AM
wyk
wyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 85 carb and coil set up

I am running rich and was wondering if anyone knew a good site that shows how to adjust the jetting. I was also wondering if anyone replaced the stock coil with something more efficient?
Obliged

Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 85 carb and coil set up

The first two links on a google search for "Rochester 2SE" are pretty good. If it is the stock carb, it is possible that it is a E2SE with electronic controls. If you have something different on there, you may want to look up the application on Autozone.com for adjustment procedures.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
wyk

It is an e2se(as I think all 85's are). I do not see anything that clearly shows how to adjust the jetting. Some of those sites are unresponsive

I am thinking since the coil looks original, I should prolly swap her out. Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.malloryperformance.com/Pr...minselection=0

Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, all 85's are, but in another thread, you stated something about an 83 carb, IIRC...

As far as adjusting jetting, you will have your work cut out for you. The E2SE is electronically controlled by a solenoid located inside the carb. There should be a lean mixture screw accessible from the top of the carb.

The geocities site was down, but looks to be back up.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:33 PM
wyk

Yeah, that carb is an e2se as well. My choke light doesn't go off, so I am suspecting a little bit of choke may be on? I know it isnt full choke, because the truck won't even run with the choke fully on when its cold. But I am wondering if it's sumthin else. In any case, I think it's best in the future I go and upgrade to a non computer intake set up like the edlebrock one.

WYK

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yes, all 85's are, but in another thread, you stated something about an 83 carb, IIRC...

As far as adjusting jetting, you will have your work cut out for you. The E2SE is electronically controlled by a solenoid located inside the carb. There should be a lean mixture screw accessible from the top of the carb.

The geocities site was down, but looks to be back up.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Administrator

The first use of the e2se on the Blazer's was in 84 for the California emission models (IIRC) and was 85 for everything. I do not recall if you listed what the 83 carb came off of.

And yeah, the sooner you can get rid of that carb, the better. I am expecting the Rochester Carburetor book in the mail sometime this week as I want it for the carb on my Blazer. It also has some information on these carbs in it.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM
wyk

I may do a 3.4 swap in the future. I like having 4WD, so a V8 swap prolly wont happen. The 83 carb is off of another gM vehicle. They have been using e2se's since like 81 or so on other vehicles. Whata stupid carb!
Having said that, my Blazer gets the same mileage my 2004 Colorado gets...

WYK

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The first use of the e2se on the Blazer's was in 84 for the California emission models (IIRC) and was 85 for everything. I do not recall if you listed what the 83 carb came off of.

And yeah, the sooner you can get rid of that carb, the better. I am expecting the Rochester Carburetor book in the mail sometime this week as I want it for the carb on my Blazer. It also has some information on these carbs in it.