1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

87 2.8 distributor removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:40 PM
rnjohnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 87 2.8 distributor removal

I'm replacing the head gaskets on my 87 S-15 2.8. I've got the distributor bolt out and the distributor housing spins freely but I cannot get it to lift out- it's still solid tight into the block. I don't see anything else holding it down. Does the shaft down in the engine get bound up? Is there a secret to getting this distributor to release? Thanks for any help you have.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
ROY PICKETT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 87 2.8 distributor removal

My wife says to try a chiltons manual for that make and model,,, maby get it from your library,....Roy & Mary

Old 01-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely get a manual. The parts store manuals will not specifically detail exactly how to remove the distributor.

If you have removed the hold down bolt, the distributor should pull straight out, but it will require turning the rotor base to twist the driven gear out of the cam shaft driving gear. It has been so long since I have pulled a distributor that I can't remember which direction it would need to go. If necessary, a screw driver or small pry bar may be used under the clamp on the distributor base.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:54 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it amazes me how sometimes they get like that. Bet its never been out before. The second ring under the intake lip has to make it through also and you'll find some of them pretty snug. I pull straight up while twisting left to a certain point, about a quater turn and then back right again. At some point you will notice the gear release but that may not get you all the way out yet. I dont know how much you'll come up once it releases the gear, not on a 2.8, have never done one of those YET. (I see one in my future)

Even when it releases from the gear, the inner body of the shaft has a way of hanging up at times that can be due to simple well fitting parts. A brand new part went in and having never been out before, it might involve some twisting and pulling straight up till it comes out. Another part of the problem may well be the oil pump shaft, if its like a small block or 4.3. Those small plastic collars that hold the shaft to the oil pump have a way of just getting gunked up and gluing themselves in some engines. Please be sure that when yours does come out, you dont see any pieces of this breakable part still attached to your distributor. That it what drives your oil pump in other chevy motors I have worked on and cannot be left broken.

I would try to make sure I was turning the rotor to make sure the gear releases rather than just twisting the body back and forth. The gear inside is run by the cam gear and it turns the rotor, so just turning the body will not neccesarily twist the gear. The gear moves due to the rotor moving (to say it backwards) I would try both directions, though I aseem to remember twistin it IN with a clockwise motion, so out would be counter clockwise. Trouble is I a always working on trucks while sittin under hoods, facing sideways, or vans while facing the other way.

One thing I did happen to notice is that a 2.8 i saw a diagram of a while back had a number one cylinder on the opposite side of the motor. I almost used it for a 4.3 and then realized not all v6's are the same and the 4.3 is like to v8's. Just make sure you know where the rotor was and dont turn the motor over before replacing it.

I would not pry it with anything.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:54 AM

I have the manual and of course it just tells you to index the distributor body and rotor, remove the bolt and clamp and simply lift the distributor out of the engine. Usually whenever the manual states, "Typical Illustration", I seem to have the atypical version not shown, so I was wondering if there were perhaps two different distributors used with pins or some other hold down as I've seen before.

It has never been out before. I've tried twisting the rotor to get the gear up and out and it just won't budge. I took the day off and went skiing so I'll keep working on it tomorrow. A spring blew out of my right heel binding today and I had to walk about a mile down to the lodge. That just about sums up my luck for the weekend with this distributor. If the right rear tab for the intake manifold stud were 1/8 of an inch smaller, it would slip past the distributor. I may stop by the dealer and check with them. I hear they're good working with home mechanics. I've pulled a lot of distributors but have never had one lock up like this down in the block.

Worse comes to worse, I can probably twist that right rear stud out and the intake will come off past the distributor. The heads are coming off anyway so it wouldn't take much to replace that stud. I've never seen an engine before where the intake and the head mate together to form the surface sealing for the rocker covers. Does GM make these engines themselves?

Thanks for the help and when I do get it out, I will look for the precautions mentioned.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys- I finally had time today to get back to the GMC.

I briskly rotated the rotor back and forth while lifting on the distributor and it popped loose. I only had to lift the distributor about a 1/4 inch for the intake to clear it's right rear mounting stud. Things are progressing again- one head off and the other after some lunch.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, that "briskly" part is what I was scared to mention on a public forum, cause you know how some things lead to MORE problems. I didnt want to be the cause of any further problems. Glad to hear you got the job done.