1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

88 2.8v6 wont idle with both injectors hooked up and no power...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member
amp88fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 88 2.8v6 wont idle with both injectors hooked up and no power...wtf?

ok its an 88 2.8l v6 just bought it,did fine for a couple weeks...one day while driving it died and would not start...let it set for a while...it started but was idleing ruff!! well it had no power it was not reving high rpm and going slow...it was just not going...pedal to the floor it just would not go....put it in nutrual and it would rev high if you push the gas but under load rpm just would not come up....(this is my friends truck)so he went and bought new injectors and a new throtle pos sensor...he put them in and then it would not start at all...so i went there today and he had the injectors in the wrong way (without the holes lined up for fuel to flow properly through )so i fixed that....it still would not fire up....sounded to me like no spark....so i pulled a wire and checked...plenty of spark from the dist....he told me that they had messed with the wires and turned the dist to try and get it to start....so i got the fire order all fixed up....still it sounded like it was not firing at all....so i pulled a plug and sure nuff it was so bad the it was not firing at all....a new set of ac delcos later...now we are firing and i got it to start by turning dist...but it was back to the issue of not wanting to idle...it seemed it was getting to much gas...i unpluged one of the injectors and did some fine tuning with the dist and finally got it to idle but barely....but if i hook the other injector up it will die every time...now it wont even idle...and it has no power under load as before...i have checked every obvious thing like vac hosed and unplugged conectors..etc...

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN...AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS TO FIX IT???

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 88 2.8v6 wont idle with both injectors hooked up and no power...wtf?

How is the gasket between the TBI unit and the intake? These are known to go bad.

Are you sure that everything on the TBI unit itself is together properly as to not leak fuel out into the intake from one of the other gaskets?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 88 2.8v6 wont idle with both injectors hooked up and no power...wtf?

Prob the gasket

Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Check the adjustment of the TPS. It could be adjusted out of spec. A scan tool would tell you the tps position at idle.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A multimeter would help as well and is probably more available.

You are looking to have ~0.5V at fully closed throttle and ~4.5V at fully open throttle.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member

Ok the gasket is new came with the injectors...and looked good....but if there is a voltage problem is that making it get to much fuel and bog? causing the no power issue?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Do the injectors appear to stay on completely? They should pulse...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Do the injectors appear to stay on completely? They should pulse...
yes they are spraying nonstop when both are hooked up.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator

They should be pulse width modulated by the PCM. Sounds like a PCM problem...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

They should be pulse width modulated by the PCM. Sounds like a PCM problem...
ok i know that issome kind of computer or sensor....did a search on autozone....what the hell is and where the is th pcm...

sorry for my stupid question....but im a muscle car guy...i could build you a 1000 hp sbc but it wont have a damn computer on it!

Quick Reply: 88 2.8v6 wont idle with both injectors hooked up and no power...wtf?