1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

91 blazer oil leak any ideas?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:20 AM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 91 blazer oil leak any ideas?

ok, i decided to look at the blazer to try to see where my oil leak is coming from. i looked at it before briefly and appeared to be coming from the rear main seal. HOWEVER!!! after lookin at it more closely the oil is actually dripping from the bottom of the inspection cover but runs from the passenger side of the motor down. i got under there the other day and i noticed on the passenger side of the motor the starter was wet with fresh oil. so i obviously concluded it is not a rear main seal and is not the oil pan or oil pan gasket. last time i checked fluid doesnt travel up.i checked the back of the head and it is dry. i checked the intake and where the distributor is at, dry. the only thing i can think of is maybe and this is a big maybe it is leaking from the dip stick tube? the top end of the motor is dry.....it only appears to be wet from the starter down. i added some of that oil dye stuff and used my small portable black light but it didnt glow like i thought it would. looks kind of like watered down white out and as most of us know its damn nea impossible to get to the back of the motor. but it only showed "for the most part" my some what whitish starter and whitish fluid on my exhaust.

any ideas? any suggestions? any other people with similar issues?

maybe the knock sensor?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 91 blazer oil leak any ideas?

i just figured id add to this incase some one does a search for oil leakes later. turns out the rear main seal is leaking. when the rpms are high the cintrificul<<<<<spelling?.....force keeps the oil away from the seal. when i slowed down i would get a trail of oil. any way, when the oil leaked out of the seal it would hit the flywheel and spin the oil out of the inspection plate onto the starter. thus, the starter being covered in oil and the passenger side bottom of the motor was covered in oil. i was hoping to find out it was something different and it wasnt. so, any one that has a similar oil leak simlarto whats described above it may be your rear main seal.