1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

91 Chevy Blazer 4.3

Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Dakoda Rabon is on a distinguished road
Default 91 Chevy Blazer 4.3

I need some help, my truck will crank but it skips very bad and then stops running again. The only light reading is the check gauges light. My oil pressure gauge reads zero but I have oil on the dipstick. As I said it won't run either, I was wondering if it was possibly the oil pressure sensor sending a bad reading to the computer keeping it from running. I've also been told to check the oil pump itself, and the fuel pump but I believe i've heard the fuel pump running. Am I right or could it be something else?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Your oil gauge reads zero while cranking the motor and while it is running?

I had a '92 with an oil pressure sending unit that went bad (pretty much all at once) and the motor ran fine although it was a long 100 mile drive back home while listening for any noise from the motor.

The oil pressure sending unit might be a separate issue from the rough running of your engine.

I'd check the initial timing on the engine to makes sure the mechanicals are lined up.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Dakoda Rabon is on a distinguished road

For what few seconds it will stay cranked yes it reads zero the whole time. I've also been told that if the oil pressure switch went out it could stop the fuel pump. Could it be the switch gagging the pump?

Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dakoda Rabon
For what few seconds it will stay cranked yes it reads zero the whole time. I've also been told that if the oil pressure switch went out it could stop the fuel pump. Could it be the switch gagging the pump?
Regarding if the oil pressure is interlinked with the fuel pump, I do not know and have never heard of that being the case.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 PM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Did you ever have any luck?

If not, any other details. . was this running and driving regularly before? . . Did it stop while driving, or just came out one day and had the problem?

Did you do any work on it before experiencing the issue?

Sorry for all the questions lol. . .just trying to help if I can.