1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'91 S10, at a gain now!(my fix)

Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Beginning Member
jeffs91S10blazer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up '91 S10, at a gain now!(my fix)

I had quite a lengthy post about my problems I was having before, and the tons of things I tried, bought and replaced in order to try and get it working.

My symptoms and previous post can be seen here - https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/91-s10-loss-now-32785/

This Outer ring piece on the distributor moves, you can turn it slightly left and right. Not very much, but it will. If turned one way as far as i can, it wont even start, the engine will just turn over. Twist it tightly the opposite way and it runs fine. ( by the way, I have no idea if this piece is meant to move like that at all lol )

My problem now is I don't know if I can just replace that piece, or if there is a way to take it off and work fine without it. Nobody at the AutoZone could find that part particularly or even tell me if it comes with a new distributor or what. One guy told me its just an outer protecting shell that technically doesn't need to be there. Although I have quickly learned not to believe everything a parts store worker says :P

The only problems I seem to have is in the morning when my truck is warming up, the ring, expanding from being heated up slips out of place so easy that rev'ing up the engine will cause it to go out of whack.

I tried pulling this ring part off but got to the point where I didn't want to risk using more strength and breaking it.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Can I replace just that part fairly inexpensively? Or am I going to have to buy an entirely new distributor?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

It is a cover for the pick up coil, to remove it you have to remove the shaft from the distributer, Once shaft is removed then there is a retaining clip that is removed by prying it with a screwdriver. The shield, then the pickup coil. The pick up coil has a locking tab. Lift the locking tab to remove. Could be that the locking tab is broken or not engaged and when you move the cover the pick up coil is rotating. This is right out of the factory service manual (Unit Repair Section) To remove the shaft you need to remove the roll pin, and the gear assy. Mark everthing for re-assy. Bottom line is you have to remove and disassemble the distributer to get at the cover and pickup coil.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member

I recorded some videos to help maybe find a solution to my problem. My temporary fix isn't working so hot now. Here are the links to the videos, they are split up into 3 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCpxGhXjoE
this is part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGkb7Q0pg8
video of starting and little idle. try and listen for this sort of buzzing/clicking from distributor before it dies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8F_zbxziyk
another starting/idle then touch gas and distributor starts to buzz then engine shortly dies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jIWZh4Zyo

My truck drove fine one day for the longest time, then the next morning it had the rough idle. Fiddling with that piece now only fixes it to the point where the idle is fine now, but pressing on the gas the slightest my distributor will buzz like mad then the engine dies shortly after (while still buzzing).

by the way, the Spark plugs, Wires, Cap, and Dist. Rotor are brand new pretty much.

Maybe my big problem is that i'm to cheap to buy a whole new distributor (after $300 in parts that weren't the problem in the first place)? lol i'd rather fix it than replace.

I'd like to just know if anyone has ever had this problem before with this specific piece? The ring piece i showed is a little dented, and i've heard that piece doesn't even need to be on there. I'd like to know for sure if that is true before I try it and blow something up :P

P.S. - While its idling fine, if I touch the distributor to much or try and wiggle it while its running it will start to buzz then engine will die.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is just a shield and should not impact the performance of the engine. Sounds like there is something wrong with the pick up coil that is inside the shield. If you have some junkyards close by, grab a distributor out of another truck to see if it makes any difference...

Here is a run down of how the distributor in your truck works. It uses a magnetic pickup assembly which consists of a permanent magnet, a pole piece with internal teeth, and a pick-up coil. When the teeth of the timer core, rotating inside the pole piece, line up with the teeth of the pole piece, an induced voltage in the pick-up coil signals the electronic module to trigger the coil primary circuit. The primary current decreases and a high voltage of 35,000 volts is induced in the ignition coil secondary winding which is directed through the rotor and secondary leads to fire the spark plugs. There is also a capacitor in the distributor which suppresses radio noise.

To mess with the pick up coil, the distributor has to be removed from the engine. You then have to drive out the roll pin in the distributor drive gear to allow for the distributor shaft to be removed from the body. You will then have access to the pick up coil. Take a look at the attachment for an exploded view of the distributor in your truck.

Attached Thumbnails '91 S10, at a gain now!(my fix)-91_distributor_exp.gif  
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member

the shield piece is dented a little bit and thats what I think is causing the problem somehow. When I first got my truck (before I knew anything about the tech side of cars) my friend noticed it was loose that little bit and tried to pound it down tight (which didnt work), causing the dents in the shield. Now I wish I could go back and punch him before doing that.

my friend with all the tools is coming in a few days to help me take the distributor out (this is a different, smarter friend) so we can take it apart.

All I can say is that I am pretty sure after days and days of testing, and re-testing, the orientation of this now slightly dented shield is making my truck do this. like i said, i'm no expert what-so-ever with these things so I could be completely wrong and just getting lucky with my truck to run. The pick up coil you were talking about, are my symptoms any sign of what happens when the pick up coil begins to fail?

wish i could tell exactly what part of the distributor is making the horrible buzzing/ticking noise before the engine dies. Hopefully this week I can get my hands on either a used or new distributor so I know for a fact and let you know how it goes

Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Beginning Member

I bought a new distributor entirely today, installed it, and it runs very nice now
Now I still got this squeaking. It happens only sometimes when accelerating at low speeds, or from a stop. doesn't matter whether or not im turning. It will happen going straight. The squeak definitely squeaks with the speed of the truck. It stops at around 35 mph. Sometimes it doesn't do it when I first get going in the morning, then it will start doing it, then stop sometimes all in the same drive. Its just really random and I don't like it!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Could it be the serantine belt? I had squeking from the belt and only way I got rid of it was to install a goodyear gatorback belt. Just something to consider. Is it a wheel bearing beginning to go bad?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

The sound is definately coming from underneath the truck somewhere, its hard to tell while driving, but I think its coming from the back.

Another weird thing, after putting in the new distributor, I went straight to the gas station, but left my truck on, when I came back out of the store my truck was idling really high. I turned my truck off and back on, and went back to the same high idle. Shift out of park, and it went down and sounded normal. Back to park it went high again. So i just put it in drive and drove home. After driving home and putting it in park the idle was normal again. so the high idle is not constant, and only does it in Park.

After installing the new distributor I didn't set the timing with the timing gun or anything, i just moved the distributor until it was in what I thought was the spot it was before, and also to where I thought the idle sounds best and tightened it down. Could it just be out of time?

Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Beginning Member
cjmor1804 is on a distinguished road

how much for a new distributor? i might replace mine if the price is right. The distributor could have been installed without using a timing light, as long as it was marked at put back the same **without turning the crank. If the crank turned i believe u pull the #1 spark plug and turn the crank 'til u feel the piston at top dead center and align the distrubutor to the #1 cylinder (if i remember correctly)

Old 09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Beginning Member

100 bucks at Autozone. Actually, it was pretty sweet, they didn't have it in stock so the guy at Autozone called Schucks (which was literally right across the street) and checked if they had it and they did. So he printed me out a receipt and I wen't over there and got it.

It was only 100 if I gave them my old one. 130 otherwise i believe.

My engine was not cranked while my old Distributor was out. I took it out and 10 minutes later was installing the new one. The rotor and everything is in the correct spot. (minus being able to use a timing gun)

I'm starting to get some tinks and clanks from my transmission it sounds like that don't make me happy. It will tink and clank a lot when at a constant rate of speed and low rpm, causing a noticable jerk/buck. Releasing the gas, braking, or accelerating will stop it though.

uhg!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '91 S10, at a gain now!(my fix)