1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

92 Digi-dash, Odo not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
AndrewT is on a distinguished road
Default 92 Digi-dash, Odo not working

New to the forums, bought a 92' as a winter truck on the cheap; I'm not looking to spend big money here, so anything I can do on I'm own I will and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Problem: Every one of the digital dash gauges work, save for the odometer. Sometimes its blank, other times it'll flicker, and even more rarely it'll display "Error". I haven't pulled the gauges yet, I searched the forums and wasn't able to draw any conclusions for repair, and e-bay yield $140 service to fix it, which would be more than 1/7th of what I paid for the truck so thats a no go.

So I turn to you, my now fellow blazer aficionados! Is this repairable and how? If not, can I find a gauge cluster in a junk yard, cut out the odo, hook it up and mount it somewhere with it still displaying the correct vehicle mileage? I only really need it to time my oil changes, so if its tucked away somewhere with the other loose bits-o-wire, thats ok with me.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

the cluster needs to be repaired Mine went out completely and i payed 75 bucks to get it repaired

you can always do the trade program you pay 125 for a new cluster then send your old one back and get 100 bucks back

this is the thread i made
https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...er-burn-62954/

Edit: this is the trade http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITAL-SPEE...item5643baf9a4

this is the guy i sent mine to be repaired

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330556241954...84.m1439.l2649

hes really good and fast I went this way to keep my mileage the same

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 10-27-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 PM
AndrewT is on a distinguished road

$75? That price is a little more reasonable, but still...as a second to last resort I'll look into the analog conversion. Maybe I can figure out a way to do that just for the odo and leave everything else in place.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by AndrewT; 10-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I did the conversion. then a week later my speedo isnt working lol...I need to swap it out and see if maybe i got a bad cluster. conversion is easy,just time consuming with the wiring etc. heres a step by step on how to do it..its actually a analog to digital write up,but just reverse it,its got the wiring diagrams etc that you need.

Instrument Cluster Conversion

if i was you,id just do the 75.00 deal. unless you really like the analog like i do.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
57 Handyman is on a distinguished road

Andrew,

Time and aggravation...that is what you save when you do the swapout via ebay. If xgiovannix12 and I dealt with the same ebay seller, all I can say is "he is cool..."

Initially, I tried buying only the parts and doing the electrical repairs myself...soldering, etc...which failed! So, I ended up asking for help from the seller who was nice enough to send me a replacement unit and giving me credit for my failed attempts to do the repairs.

Think of it this way...if speedometer isn't working to show how fast you are going...how much is a speeding ticket? Also, running out of gas is another PIA!

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Beginning Member
midnightrider is on a distinguished road

same deal here, I bought a truck that was pretty mint, two weeks later I have no speedo, no turn signal idicators and no odo....I had mine remanned, went out again. I was dvised that sometimes the early 90's displays get hot and the solders run, save your self the trouble, get a new one if you have a failure.....oh, btw, that "error" display means there's something wrong at the board, good luck.
J

Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The digi dashes are known for cold solder joints and bad power supplies. Gauges not working is a sign of a cold solder joint and is easily fixed if you know what one looks like. The error message is a sign of a power supply going out.

If it was just a solder joint I'd say diy job. Not knowing your electrical skills I'd say get the ebay deal. If you are good with a soldering iron both take lees time to fix than removing the cluster, you just have to buy the power supply.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I know that this is an old post, But I have a feeling the cold solder joint for my odo is bad, once in awhile the first 3 numbers will go out and leave me with just the last 3, then it will come on again and stay on, seems to be on more than off. everything else works perfectly. Just the odo. How hard is it to remove the cluster, and how would I go about repairing this?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM
choover82 is on a distinguished road

I have no speedo...but no tickets yet...ive found out by watching my rpms, ive been doing about 45 on highways....wish it worked but not in a hurry to get it replaced. I know the junkyard here has two digi dashes and theyll sell for $35 so I might take a chance and do it.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by choover82
I have no speedo...but no tickets yet...ive found out by watching my rpms, ive been doing about 45 on highways....wish it worked but not in a hurry to get it replaced. I know the junkyard here has two digi dashes and theyll sell for $35 so I might take a chance and do it.

if you go that route your mileage will change

Just warning ya if you dont know

Quick Reply: 92 Digi-dash, Odo not working