1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93' need to drop the tank and change fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:43 AM
scottyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 93' need to drop the tank and change fuel pump

Hi I need to drop the tank and chenge the fuel pump on my '93 Blazer..
The sending unit and pump should come as one for the '93 right?
I heard dropping the gas tank is a nightmare..should I attempt it to change the pump or will I waste more time than its worth and just get it towed to a garage?Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
xv75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 93' need to drop the tank and change fuel pump

Had the problem last year on a 93' when I got in there the wiring harness had burnt up and they don't sell it seperate from the sending unit. Ended up spending @ 500.00 to complete the task. It wasn't too hard to do and completed it in a day.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:45 PM
JoesWheelin93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to bring up a dead post but...
My '93 is reaching the end of it's days and may need a fuel pump.I've been saving for a down payment on a 95+ so I dont want to spend much time or money on and I'm not at all above jerry rigging it right now, we were considering going in through the top by cutting a hole in the floor board does anyone know if there is a brace in the way that would prevent this? Or does anyone know of any tricks or easy ways to do this, keeping in mind Im hoping for a new vehicle before fall so it's only got to last a few months then it's either a feild beater, project, or $500 as is.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: JoesWheelin93

Not to bring up a dead post but...
My '93 is reaching the end of it's days and may need a fuel pump.I've been saving for a down payment on a 95+ so I dont want to spend much time or money on and I'm not at all above jerry rigging it right now, we were considering going in through the top by cutting a hole in the floor board does anyone know if there is a brace in the way that would prevent this? Or does anyone know of any tricks or easy ways to do this, keeping in mind Im hoping for a new vehicle before fall so it's only got to last a few months then it's either a feild beater, project, or $500 as is.
my 92 2 door has a brace above the fuel tank, thats the only reason it doesnt have a fuel cell in it already.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:50 PM
BigJoeFord is an unknown quantity at this point

just saw this post. but yea there is way to but it's not worth the hassel. I would just recomed. taking it out the normal way bacause if u cut into the floor u will always have road nozie possbile to water up in the back. and the part that really made me mad is the guy before me cut it in the wrong spot and i totry make it bigger so icoulddo it the easy way but the ring would not comeoff the sending unit.so I had to drop it all..if u need a new fuel pump i have two one new in box onenew sending unit and pump al ready to go. I dont have the 93 anymore so i have no use for it I will sell it for to u for cheap.let me anyother question send me a pm I have don a few gas tanks for these blazer.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM
JoesWheelin93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I wouldnt have actually been able to make myself cut a hole in the floor when it came down to it anyways, just because it'stired now is no reason to make it a huge pile. Oddly tho, after a week of sitting at my freinds house I went to meet my dad there so we could tow it home and the stupid thing started right up. When it wasnt starting it would crank but not turn over as if it were out of gas, (which is why Ifigured fuelpump)it had been sitting for a few hours at that point and ran fine on the drive up there, what could make it not start one day and then start fine after?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
BigJoeFord is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen this happen before to a friends blazer an it was a bad ground to the fuel pump and even possible still a bad pump. My 93 had a bad ground to the fuel pump and would start sometimes and wouldn't others. and i also seen fuel pressure problems like that.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Curmudgeon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: JoesWheelin93
When it wasnt starting it would crank but not turn over as if it were out of gas, (which is why I figured fuel pump) it had been sitting for a few hours at that point and ran fine on the drive up there, what could make it not start one day and then start fine after?
It might be just a bad wiring harness on the fuel pump. The harness is available for about 12 bucks. But you still have to drop the tank, same as if you're changing the pump.

-

Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 AM
bmxrr1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

couldnt it possibly be a relay that would cause that issue thats what was happening on my 91 replaced the pump and sending unit and filter injectors and and the pressure regulator and it turned out I only need the pump and the relay

Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most definitely could and relays/fuses should be checked/replaced first and foremost. I always attempt to verify power to the pump itself before condemning the pump. Sometimes that means that you pull the tank down a bit to gain access.