1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 4.3L Vortec no start issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Awalke89 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 94 4.3L Vortec no start issues

Hello everyone, I could use some advice, I'm tired of throwing money in the wrong places. I just bought a 94 S10 Blazer Tahoe Lt for 400 bucks, the guy said it just needed a starter (which was bull****). I replaced the starter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter along with the spark plugs. The blazer is difficult to start, once it does start it runs and drives fine, it doesn't die. Once I turn it off and let it sit it will not start. When I charged the battery fully it started, when I changed fuel filter and spark plugs it started. But it keeps not wanting to start after it sits. It has an engine tick, I believe to be lifter noise but I could be wrong. I changed the oil and put mystery oil in it and the noise went away and then came back. When I spray starter fluid it will try to start for less than a sec and die. But I don't believe it to be the fuel pump because I can hear it pumping. I believe it to be a bad distributor or it lacks compression but I'm no mechanic and I'm not sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:34 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Awalke89
When I charged the battery fully it started.
Step 1, go to an auto parts store and have your battery load tested. Autozone is one I know that had a device that will check your battery, starter and alternator tested with everything still on the vehicle. So if you can, just drive the truck there. Otherwise, pull the battery and take it to then to have it load tested.

Step 2, (if everything checks out with the charging and starting system)... test for "parasitic drain (or draw)". This will take a multi-meter and a little bit of familiarity on how to use it. You can find you tube videos that will show you how to do the test. If that doesn't help you, I can walk you through it. Is there an aftermarket stereo or any other non-original electronics installed? This test will let you know if something is draining the battery when it sits.

Step 3, do a fuel leak down test. Even though you hear the pump, doesn't mean it's operating fully. You can get a loaner test kit from an auto parts store. I don't know the specs and pressure required for a '94, but I'm sure it's on this forum, just search a bit.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 PM

Thanks i appreciate the help! The first thing I did was have the battery tested, then I made sure the battery terminals were good and I then changed the starter. For some reason it will start on its own but it takes awhile to get it to start. I just keeping cranking it and wait or I mess with the battery cables. But I noticed today that the oil pressure was low and when I cranked it the pressure rose and it eventually started. Which makes me think it's compression related. But it does have a misfire so I was thinking the distributor but yeah this is driving me crazy.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Jump to step 3 and do a fuel leak down test. If you hear your fuel pump when you turn the key, then your relay is working. Don't know about '94, but '96 and above have a bypass of the relay when the oil pressure reaches 4 PS.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Alright I do that today and let you know what happens, thanks alot!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:29 PM

Alright so instead of testing fuel pressure I just went ahead and replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it's still having no start issues. Can a bad exhaust manifold cause the vehicle not to start? And could it be my distributor? Because so far all sign point to the distributor.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:34 PM

Also, it has no radio, and all bulbs and lights work, along with all the other electrical. It's got an exhaust leak from the manifold and it has a vacuum tree that is plugged up with bolts. I took off the distributor cap and cleaned up the metal connecting points (which were gunked up).

Old 12-30-2016, 02:47 PM

I know it's frustrating, but as you mentioned in your OP you're tired of throwing money at the wrong stuff. Unfortunately you spent money on an apparent unneeded pressure regulator. You need a direction on which way to go. These trucks have problems with the fuel pumps. You should really do a fuel leak down test so at the very worst you can rule out any problems with your pump, know your injectors aren't leaking (if 94s have injectors) and also know that your pressure regulator is good .

Really the only way an exhaust manifold is going to be bad is if it is cracked. But that's not going to prevent the truck from starting. The gaskets can go bad, but it will start normally. A leak in the exhaust manifold can produce a ticking sound. A clogged exhaust can cause starting issues, but that would be in your cat/muffler area. You can test that either with a test kit some autopart stores might have as a loaner, or you can make one with a vacuum gauge and a couple fittings.

But, I'd really recommend you start with the fuel leak down test.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:54 PM

That vacuum tree being plugged might be part of all of your problem. That tree directs vacuum at the right places at the right times. There's a valve in them that direct the vacuum based on conditions.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Yeah I know your right, I can rent one and get money back, I'm just not sure how to do it. Youtube, lol. I really appreciate the help man.

Quick Reply: 94 4.3L Vortec no start issues