1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 s10 Blazer engine sputters and dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM
arcwelder is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pressure/leak-down test. You need to either verify it as the cause or rule it out.

Yes, I agree.
It's on my to-do list (waiting for the pressure tester to arrive via UPS)
Thanks

Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 AM
arcwelder is on a distinguished road

Finally found the issue...
The Ignition control module (mounted inside the distributor) was apparently bad. When the distributor was replaced, apparently this part was re-used.
With that replaced, car is running fine now.

(ps. passed fuel pressure test and leakdown test with flying colors)
Thanks to all for the assistance!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by arcwelder
The Ignition control module (mounted inside the distributor) was apparently bad. When the distributor was replaced, apparently this part was re-used.

LOL as i was reading your thread i was about to post that to check and then the last post you said you found the problem haha glad your running great now

Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Starting Member
meaty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by arcwelder

How did you find out that the Ignition Control Module was the cause of the problem? How long did it take to replace? or how much did it cost to replace (if you had it done at a garage)? I am assuming that the truck drove o.k. under higher rpm's, but was idling badly? I have the same 94 s10 blazer and just had the distributor, rotor, and cap replaced because the car would not start. Now the truck starts fine, but I have a very irregular idle and my truck actually stalled today while idling. I didn't have the idling problem before the distributor was replaced.

Last edited by meaty; 10-20-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
dan14615 is on a distinguished road

I read over your thread and problem. I have a 94 chevy s-10 blazer tahoe LT with 147,00 miles and have been through the ringer with recent fuel injection issues. Alot of the issues you stated seemed identical to mine so I figured I'd write what I just went through. My blazer decided not to start intermintantly and I ended up having to buy a new fuel injector regulator at a whopping 400 bucks after ruling out all kinds of other things. It ran like a champ for the next 6 months and now my EGR valve is sticking and the truck is running really rich. I just ordered a new one and got that replaced. I know these S-10's are known for these issues. In your list of things replaced I didn't see a fuel injection regulator so I figured I'd mention it. If it's messing up it could be flooding your engine. Just a thought.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member
DoubleDouble is on a distinguished road

I had basically the same problem, turned out to be my MAP sensor. Try replacing it.

A lot of guys on here told me to check fuel pressure etc but that wasn't the problem.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Beginning Member
midnightrider is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about some sediment stuck on the outside of your fuel pump bag ?? Had the same condition, dropped the tank, cleaned it out, runs perfect....just sayin'....
J

Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Uncle_boog is on a distinguished road
Default help

i know this is an old post but i am having the same issue. Fuel pressure tested out and so did the control module. Really not sure whats going on any help would be really really appreciated

Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 AM
clicheche is on a distinguished road

i replaced my spider injector, and that appears to have done the trick. it would just spew too much gas into the combustion chambers. it flooded out the engine. would crank over and not start... classic sign of flooding.

fairly straight forward replacement.

it would appear that the fuel pressure test is definitely the place to start. ensure you're getting the proper amount of fuel to the engine. from there, you've diagnosed, or at least ruled a few things out.

best of luck!