1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 trunk window wont release

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Starting Member
ejwilson1984 is on a distinguished road
Default 94 trunk window wont release

Hi

I have a 1994 2dr full size Blazer. The problem is my trunk window wont release. If I want to open it I would need someone to help me. One person shifts and holds the trunk window release button to the left, while another person lifts the window up in the back. Does anyone know how I can fix this and about how much it'll cost??

Thanks

Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

First check the ground that hangs off of the left side of the tailgate to make sure your system is getting a good ground. If it is, move on to the following:

You most likely need a new solenoid, or a new switch. To test if the switch is bad, find a nearby 12v source and attempt to activate the window release without the switch. If it releases, start looking for a new switch.

If not you will most likely need a new solenoid. Good luck, as I haven't been able to find a cheap source for them. I now just ignore the button and use the key any time I want to open it.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Maelstrom is on a distinguished road

I have a 94 Full Size also and am having the same problem. The actuator works in mine just fine, but the small spring on the body on the right that pushes against the rubber block on the glass isn't pushing the window out enough for the glass to release. Most of the info on this site is for the S10 and I didn't find any help for the full size. I took the plastic off and then took the plate off the latch in the tailgate. There is a bolt for the latch that looked like it might adjust, but it only moves a half an inch at best. My thought was that I could pull the glass more toward the front of the truck to create more pressure so it would push out once released. No luck yet.

The rubber block is new, but that little spring that pushes the window out is the original and has no push left. I have no idea what the part number is and can't find it on any part site anywhere. For now, I just have a little wedge I use to stick between the glass and the tailgate so I can open it by myself without the two man I had to do like you. It works for now, but I would also like to find a permanent fix. Without being able to pull the glass forward with an adjustable latch, I think the only fix is a firmer spring to push the glass out. Oh, I installed new lift struts with no effect either. I'm in the middle of looking for a fix so if I find anything I'll post up. Please do the same. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Usually they make noise and sort of work but I doubt yours is good if it's not releasing. Sometimes adjusting the actuator a little gives you a bit more pull to release the wondow but I will venture to say you need to go to a junk yard and pick up a new actuator.