1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ABS - Should I bother?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road

i have an abs sensor that is bad on my bravada and it was causeing it to activate even under normal breaking so the shop my truck was at at the time just um hooked all the ABS plugs under the hood to eliminate it.so been driven w/ out ABS for months now w/ out an issue and i actually feel safer as that stupid ABS caused me to rear end a women in my area..not much damage but being a women she thought it was the end of the world. so to the OP..i personally wouldnt fix it as i dont notice a differance at all but thats just me

Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Personally, i would look into it, a new sensor is about 80 bucks canadian. First pull off the wheels and have a look at the sensors themselves, some grease or mud can throw them off, try cleaning it off before you replace it. The good thing is that you can buy a simple little 'buzzing' tool for about 30 bucks that will plug into your OBD1 port and tell you the trouble code thats setting off the ABS light. If it is a wheel speed sensor code, just clean them. They dont go bad very often, its only really a magnet that picks up a frequency from the gear like think on your axles. Clean dirt off and you should be OK. If the code is for something else then head to the junkyard. This is all stuff that you can fix yourself with a couple hours reading online and an hour or two of work yourself. I dont pay dealers for anything... ever, I do it all myself and learn what i dont already know in the process.

As Swart said, there is no human on earth that can brake faster than an ABS system can. Its worth having it in operating condition that ONE time you needed it and rear-ended someone cause it was not working.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You know you can check the ABS for fault codes (and I'd bet you have at least one) the same as for the heck Engine Light. You just have to jumper A to H instead of A to B (with key off) and then turn on the key and it will flash the codes.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to make things easy (this is for 1st gen btw) here are some pics of which terminal is which and the codes. Hope it helps I spent ages looking for these.

Last edited by Outsydr; 05-14-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Sorry I didn't post the codes. Anyway if I can ever help just ask. I have some pretty good resources for 1st Gen S10s (not to mention owning several of them through the years. They're my favorite. Personally I would fix the ABS. If you think you can stop safer than the ABS system, that has been shown to be a rare occasion at best. It's saved my *** more than once. Just an opinion. When I fixed my latest project (1994 4X4 4 door) I tried it out on a patch of ice about 50 feet long on our street at about 30 mph. Stopped straight ahead with plenty of ice left to spin the tires on.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
boscoedoodle is on a distinguished road

my abs light was on for a while and I was told it was in my module. I read about seven codes. I cleaned everything underneath up and cleared the codes properly. It's been two weeks and still good.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Beginning Member
mirandaneon is on a distinguished road

i have a code 13 25 and 27, i know i can just replace the front drivers side sensor and that will fix 25 27, but i got this code 13, and i cant find out how to fix this one. so really i just wanna know if i unplug the abs unit will it turn off the abs light?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mirandaneon
i have a code 13 25 and 27, i know i can just replace the front drivers side sensor and that will fix 25 27, but i got this code 13, and i cant find out how to fix this one. so really i just wanna know if i unplug the abs unit will it turn off the abs light?
Nope, it will stay on

Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

If you need to come to a very sudden stop and you are not able to, it's probably because your ABS is malfunctioning. When your wheels lock up, the mass of the vehicle will still head for the direction you were going when you applied the brakes, even if you're steering the change of direction will be minimal at best effort in changing the momentum. ABS keep the wheels from locking up, retaining the control and maximum stopping distance. This is what it's designed to do.

Unless you're on a rocky or loose top surface, that is the only time locking your tires will increase stopping distance.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

If it does prove to be the control unit, those can be rebuilt too. Basically the top has to ne removed from the bottom half. The top piece is glued together and must be carefully separated recealing a circuit board. Close inspection will reveal two burnt traces which can be soldered back together .

Quick Reply: ABS - Should I bother?