1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

The ac compessor

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road
Talking The ac compessor

OK THE AC COMPRESSOR STARTED MAKING NOISE. I GOT IT FIXED BUT WANT TO KNOW WHAT YA ALL THINK ABOUT THE DEAL I GOT, IT WAS A SORT OF THREE DAY NIGHTMARE BUT I GUESS WE ALL GO THOUGH IT IF WE DON'T HAVE THE PROPER EQUIPMENT. I GOT A COMPRESSOR 180.00,FLUSH SYSTEM 89.00,FILTER 12.50 DREYER 25.00 AND 305.00 OF LABOR . IT TOOK THREE DAYS TO DO IT. AT FIRST I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW COMPRESSOR FOR 200.00 AND THEY FLUSHED IT PUT THE DREYER ON (OH YEAH A CONVERSION KIT FOR THE AC TOO 35.00 )FILTER IN AND I CAME TO PICK IT UP AND DUDE SAID THE COMPRESSOR WAS THE WRONG ONE. HE TOOK IT OFF PUT MY OLD ONE ON AND TIED A RAG TO THE TUBES END IE: DID NOT CONECT THEM AND I TOOK IT BACK TO WORK THEN HOME AND BACK IN THE MORNING. HE SAID HE COULD GET A COMPRESSOR CHEAPER YADI YADA YADA. OK SO I DROPED OFF THE TRUCK IN MORNING WENT TO WORK AND CAME TO PICK IT UP AGAIN AND THEY TOLD ME THE TENSIONER I HAD ON THERE MESSED UP THIER COMPRESSOR, AND THEY WANTED TO CHARGE ME ANOTHER 75.00 FOR A NEW TENSIONER. I SAID NO WAY IVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT.I CAME BY ON THE COOL AND THEY HAD PUT A NEW TENSIONER ON WITH OUT MY PERMISSION. I WAS PIST. I TOLD A THRID GUY I WANT THE TENSIONER THEY PUT ON OFF I WANTED MY OLD COMPRESSOR BACK ON AND WE WOULD SETTLE THE BALANCE AND I WOULD TAKE MY VEHICAL SOME PLACE ELSE. THEY ASKED ME TO COME BACK IN THE MORNING. THE NEXT MORNING THEY REPLACED THE COMPRESSOR WITH ANOTHER ONE AND THAT ONE WORKED FINE(THE DUDE KNOWS IT WAS A FAULTY REBUILT COMPESSOR AND NOT THE TENSIONER) THEY DIDN'T CHARGE ME FOR THE NEW BELT TENSIONER AND MY AC BLOWS ICE CUBES I GOT OUT OF THERE FOR LIKE 640.00 I JUST WISH I COULD HAVE DONE THE WORK. BUT THEY SAY BY LAW IT HAS TO BE DONE IN A SHOP. TOO BAD I HAD TO GO THROUGH ALL THE BS, I DO KNOW THE DUDE WAS TRING TO HUSSLE ME ON THAT TENSIONER BS. I AM GLAD ITS IS OVER WITH FOR SURE. https://blazerforum.com/forum/images...con_urinal.gif

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 AM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road

Dude, next time stop the ALL CAPS and hit the enter key to make paragraphs. It makes it a lot easier to read.

Glad you got all fixed in the end. I need a new compressor on my 93 and been trying to figure if it is worth it to put that kind of money in it or not since it's not a daily driver and mainly used for work (part time mail carrier which the window has to stay down all the time anyway, whether it's hot or cold outside).

From prices I've heard/read before, $640 for new everything A/C system (what about the hoses?) sounds pretty good.

As far as the law is concerned, it depends on what state the old system was in. I'm no way an expert, but from my understanding, if you had any freon in the system, then yes by law it has to be captured and not released into the atmosphere (and a lot of shops will actually pay for the captured R12 if that was what was in it).

But if the system was empty already due to a leak, then no the work did not have to be done in a shop. Just go to any parts store and you'll see R134a for sale to the public, no license needed. But there's one step that really needs to be done and that is pulling a vacuum on the system to ensure no moisture is in the lines at all after replacing the compress, filter and dryer. So if you didn't have the proper equipment for that, then it was worth it to have a shop do it right the first time.

And I'm sure when it's 100 deg outside come the middle of summer, you're not gonna be disappointed in the money spent

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Several years back my AC went to pieces on my 92 S10 Blazer. A mechanic friend replace it with a rebuild one that I bought, along with those necessary items. He flushed the system, pulled the vacuum and all that stuff, it worked good for about one year.

Them I bought a new AC compressor, done all the work myself, that's been about 7 to 9 years back. I did not pull the vacuum, yet it blows ice cubes, as you say.

Yes, I know they all say do not do this, that your AC will not work, up until that compressor that went to pieces I've always done my own AC work except for 2 times, so far its always worked great for me, and I've yet to have any trouble. Yet the 2 times I've had it done by others, doing it the right way, one time it lasted for 2 months, another time it lasted about one year.

Save many dollars, but doing it this way you do so at your own risk, for me its paid off very good. My 2 brother-in-laws do the same as I and never had no regret.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Hate to admit it but I'm like JustJerry. If I have a vacuum pump that I can use I'll pull it down but I've done several different cars and trucks that I've owned without pulling vacuum on them and have never had a problem yet.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Starting Member

I can understand why the shop cannot get by doing that, yet us shade trees can.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member
brooklynRick is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JustJerry
I can understand why the shop cannot get by doing that, yet us shade trees can.
We dont get paid to do it the second time.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Haven't had any second times with this. But I do see where you're coming from.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Starting Member

Me neither, I did a 70 model Duster that way, the A/C lines had been cut off, the condenser was laying in the trunk.

I told a couple of people that I was going to buy me some rubber hose, clamps, freon, piece it back together, fill it with freon, they said, "It want Work.' For not working, everyone that rode in it said it about froze them out.

That Duster set up high in the back so the wide tires would not rub the fender wells, rebuilt the 340, of course hopping it up a bit, it would run like the wind.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

my compressor clutch is shot, squeals like a piggy when you turn the truck on until you put it in gear or rev it. I'm just gonna get a serpentine belt that cuts out the AC. I'm a 10/60 A/C kinda guy anyway.