1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Another Back Glass Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Back Glass Alternative

So, its a pretty common thing for the back glass to rattle in these trucks. Just thought I would share my solution. Its pretty simple. It doesn't work as a permanent fix, but it works much better than using electrical tape which wears out after like 10 minutes of driving. The best part is, its pretty much a free fix.

1st, Find a Bic pen, or a pen of similar size.

Remove all the parts using whatever means necessary. Pliars, screwdriver, you get the idea. I think most of us have taken these things apart in school when taking notes or whatever. Your going to be using the main tube of the pen.

Now, using a cutting instrument, cut it into pieces about 3/4 of an inch long. So that they fit on your latch. Then cut them down the middle so they can be squeezed on the latch. This is why you remove the ink tube, so you don't make an inky mess.

Now, get the little plastic spacer onto your latch. You can use a screwdriver to open it up just enough, or pry it open with your fingers. However you want. Then, when you get it on, roll a bit of tape around it. Just enough to wrap it maybe 2-3 times. I'm using duct tape over electrical tape since I think it lasts a little longer. Also, ignore the black tape on that one piece. The silver taped part is what you are looking at. I'm pretty sure the part thats wrapped in black tape doesn't do anything. The previous owner did that, and I didn't feel like removing it.

Now when you close the hatch, it should feel pretty tight. The tape will wear out at the point of contact, but the point of the tape is just to hold the spacer on the latch. I have thought about using something like JB weld, but just haven't gotten around to trying it. I have found that one of these can last about 1000 miles, but they could probably go longer. It all depends on how much you open your hatch. I open mine about once a day. The only problem I find with this is that you must always use the key to open the hatch. The 'rear window' button will not release the window for me. So, good luck, let me know how it works out for you.

Last edited by 91chevywt; 08-10-2009 at 06:49 PM.