1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Anybody use Triple Gauge packages at Autozone?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
onecrazyfoo4u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody use Triple Gauge packages at Autozone?

Just wondering if anyone has used the 3 gauge setup from autozone or napa or wherever. It usually comes with water temp, oil pressure, and voltage. The gauges in my 84 are all whack, water temp is the only one that still works (I wonder if that's due to the 3.4l swap).

Anyways, are these setups decent enough to monitor the engine for like $20. You can just replace the stock oil pressure port with this new one right....and isn't it right by the oil filter? Where is the water temp sensor going to go, I haven't found that one yet. Voltage one is pretty self explanitory. I just want to keep a heads up on my engine to monitor it.

I also need a tach, what's a good cheap one of those to get? Any other recommendations? Thanks alot!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Anybody use Triple Gauge packages at Autozone?

Oil sender is on top of motor at the back where tranny mounts up to water sender you can put in oneof the heads

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Asimm is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i was wondering the same thing.

Could some one do a write up if they now how to do this?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Alright, I'll gave to look for the oil pressure sender than....What's that sensor that's mounted right by the oil filter then? So you have to tap your own spot to mount the water temp sensor? Can't it just replace the original sensor for the original gauges? Where does the original go?

No kidding, there needs to be a writeup for this! So I'm assuming the cheapo gauge packs are decently accurate? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a three gauge setup on my Chevelle. The cheap ones will be less accurate, but will work. If you go all electronic, they will be a bit more expensive. Mine were all mechanical and were higher priced gauges. Mechanical oil pressure gauge which required an oil line into the interior (can be messy if it breaks if you are not careful with line routing). Mechanical temp gauge which required threading it into the head and a large enough hole through the firewall to put the probe through... Then the volt gauge which just needed to be connected to the main switched power bus.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Yeah, I think I'm going to try and get all electrical ones....just so it doesn't have to get too mesy. I had a water temp gauge in my old car, and it just used an electrical sender that threaded in wherever you wanted. I used a little inline hose adapter that you put in the upper radiator hose, and could thread into that. I was hoping that you could just thread into the old temp sensor location, wherever that is on the 3.4l?

Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

your temp sensor should be on the drivers side head

Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 PM

What's the benefit of monitoring amperes over volts in a gauge? The kit I bought came with volts, which is what I usually watch....but would it be better to watch over amperes instead? Just want to keep an I on my stereo, about 1200 watts.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM

bump, anybody?