1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Auto Gear Selector in Wrong Position

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auto Gear Selector in Wrong Position

So, the title says it all, the selector arrow is pointing slightly off from the gear that the transmission is actually in. So when in park, the arrow is all the way to the left, and in OD, the arrow is in the center between OD and N. How do I fix this? Is it as simple as pulling off the trim and adjusting a wire? It's really annoying when I go offroading and I just can't figure out which gear I'm in when I'm selecting between OD, D, 2, and 1. I have to rely on the notches that I can feel in the lever.

Thanks for the replies,
BBK

Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea pull off the trim. Its a gray string with a metal clip on the end. Just pull it off and adjust it.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My selector is adjustable from under the car, not in the trim. If you look under the driver's side you should see a lever that is attached to the selector arm linkage. You can loosen the nut, push the lever until it goes into park, and then tighten the nut.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies! Problem SOLVED!
c0a8l0v6i8n9 had it right. There was a little gray string attached to a metal clip that moved with the lever. This was simply out of adjustment. A few minutes behind the trim of the steering column and the job was finished.
I think what workshop4ever was talking about was the connection between the lever and the transmission, which was not my problem. Useful information to know, and thanks for suggesting it, but it was not the fix here.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

glad to see you got it!

Old 10-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member
RedneckDeck94 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by workshop4ever
My selector is adjustable from under the car, not in the trim. If you look under the driver's side you should see a lever that is attached to the selector arm linkage. You can loosen the nut, push the lever until it goes into park, and then tighten the nut.
How do you go about makin it go into park?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

This is an old thread, but to make it go into park you just manually move the gear lever on the transmission.

but I am not sure what workshop4ever is talking about, if your gear indicator on the dash is not showing what gear you are in. You remove the trim that is below the steering column. once that is done, there is a little metal clip that hooks onto the column, so when you turn the column it moves that little indicator on the dash to show you what gear you are in, in relation to what gear the transmission is in.

First, put the parking brake on, put the truck in neutral, then remove the under dash trim on that side, find that clip, adjust it until it shows that it is in neutral. put everything back together and you are good to go.

if you are having another problem besides the one that is described in this thread, please start another thread.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member
RedneckDeck94 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
This is an old thread, but to make it go into park you just manually move the gear lever on the transmission.

but I am not sure what workshop4ever is talking about, if your gear indicator on the dash is not showing what gear you are in. You remove the trim that is below the steering column. once that is done, there is a little metal clip that hooks onto the column, so when you turn the column it moves that little indicator on the dash to show you what gear you are in, in relation to what gear the transmission is in.

First, put the parking brake on, put the truck in neutral, then remove the under dash trim on that side, find that clip, adjust it until it shows that it is in neutral. put everything back together and you are good to go.

if you are having another problem besides the one that is described in this thread, please start another thread.
I started a new thread. But as to your advice. Ut does not go into park at all. There was tranny work done and it was not put back right is what I'm guessin.