1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Blazer overheats, bypassed heater core, still no luck

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM
topgunfan is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer overheats, bypassed heater core, still no luck

Hey all. I have an 84 s10 blazer 4 wheel drive, v6. I have had this Blazer for about 6 months. From the very beginning this vehicle has run hot. But in the last two months it has gotten worse and worse. Another good peice of info is that this blazer sat dormant for at least 10 years before given to me.

I have flushed the radiator. It was full of rust. Replaced radiator hoses.

Today I bypassed the heater core as I know it needs replaced.

None of this has helped the overheating. The last time I drove it, it overheated so bad that it was boiling.

What is next? Tomorrow I am going to put in a new thermostat. Hopefully that will fix the problem?

Any advice would help. What would be your next step in trying to fix the overheating problem?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also suggest picking up a new radiator cap...

Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Default good idea

I noticed that the radiator cap doesn't fit very well like it should, but would that be the source of the problem or just add to the problem

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Both.

If the radiator cap isn't sealing and holding 16 lbs of pressure, the boiling point of the water held within is lowered.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say get a new radiator, or at least a good used one.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Did you flush the block itself? If the radiator was full of rust, so is the block. If it has been sitting for 10 years some of the cooling passage may be blocked solid.

And bypassing the heater core will not help with the overheating but rather make it worse. It is just another heat exchanger in the cooling system.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Default crap!

Ohhh boy. I took off one bolt of the thermostat housing just fine, but the other took some major strength, about half way getting the bolt out, the head snapped off. Now what do I do. ALso I noticed that there was no thermostat in there to begin with. What to do now? Also, how do I flush the block, as another poster indicated I do above?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To flush the block, it is best to pull the drain plugs that are on either side of the block just above the oil pan rail. They are difficult to get to for sure, but only then can you really get the block flushed properly. If there is crud down in around the cylinders, then you need to pull these plugs. You may have to fish up in through these holes to clear out any junk and then flush flush flush! Just use a garden hose through the thermostat housing opening.

About that housing bolt. If there is still a stub sticking up above the intake manifold, then you can get on it with a bolt-out socket or a vice grip and work it back and forth, using some WD40 or other penetrating type oil to help loosen it up. Do not try to just turn it out or you will snap it off again.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Beginning Member
jah963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice about the drain plugs, then a flushing tee to push the water thru. Did that with mine and got the temp down.