1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Brake lights improperly wired?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake lights improperly wired?

Okay I have pulled off the most amazing feat. I was told I have a brake light out so I changed the bulb. Now, if I turn my lights on they are bright as hell, they look like the brake lights are on but the third light at the top doesn't come on. When I press down on the brakes the passenger side dims and the third light comes on but the left one stays bright. When I turn the lights off and press on the brakes the passenger side comes on extremely dim, I suppose like regular lights would, and the third brake light comes on but the driver side doesn't come on. Any ideas here?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brake lights improperly wired?

You did use the correct bulb... The brake/park/turn lights have a dual filament bulb.

Was the socket clean when you inserted the new bulb?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Starting Member

Well I went to Advance Auto Parts and asked them for the part and they used their computer to pull up the number and get the right bulb so I am assuming that this is the right bulb. And as for the socket, there was some sort of odd, peanut-butter resembling substance in there. I thought this strange so I cleaned it out. Now when the substance was in there the light would be dim, but when I cleaned it out that it when it gets bright. And according to Sylvania's replacement catalog, I have the right bulb a 2057LL.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to make sure. You can test the socket with a multimeter to make sure that you are getting the appropriate voltages on the proper pins inside. If I have time tonight after work, I will pull up a schematic for you that will show you which wire does what at the tail light.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Starting Member

Thanks. This truck is a nightmare, it's basic condition was crap when I bought it and now we are working on restoring it to working condition. I want to know how this happened.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

That 'peanut butter' stuff that you dug out was most likely dielectric grease. You should get some new stuff and dab it in there before you put the bulb in. Not only does it keep the connection from corroding, but it also insulates everything.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Starting Member

Available at any parts store I assume?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

yep