1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

A/C Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member
TheRemedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Issue

I have done a lot of work on my old 89 Chevy over the years (my family has owned it since 89) and after a bit of storage a few years back ended up replacing nearly everything except the engine block. One of the components I haven't done much work on with the exception of a freon recharge is the A/C system. Quite a few years back it was converted from R-12 to R-134a, however this past summer the freon leaked out pretty quick (3-4 months) and it stopped working. I ignored the problem because it is winter, and noticed what initially looked like a coolant leak and what looked like coolant all over the fan blades and garage floor. I cleaned things up, pressure tested the radiator and was confused by no major leaks in the coolant system by pressure testing. Upon starting the engine up I noticed a grinding noise on the A/C compressor and possibly some oil residue on the clutch. I am assuming the green liquid was oil from the A/C compressor. I tested the low pressure line and it came back with very little pressure, however when I depress the pin on the line some freon slowly comes out. To my areas where I need some advice:

1. Is my assumption correct, this is most likely the compressor?
2. Can I clean up and rebuild the compressor, or should I just buy a new one?
3. I'll plan to replace the original rubber hoses, one of the crimped ends looks like it is pulling out anyway. Good plan?
4. Any other items to replace, the accumulator appears to be in good shape?
5. With little to no pressure in the line should I still take this into to a shop to evacuate the freon? Everywhere I have called wants to charge me quite a bit ($$$) for the evac operation.

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:14 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I found this to be helpful:

Troubleshoot Automotive Air Conditioning Problems

How to Repair Automotive A/C

http://densoautoparts.com/sites/defa...ing%20tips.pdf

R134a should be evacuated and disposed of properly as it is an atmospheric pollutant.

Noise in the compressors may indicate a gone bearing or broken compressor. If anything brakes in the compressor make sure to replace the dryer because debris tends to accumulate there and flush the heat exchanger and hoses downstream carefully to get rid of all the filings of a broken compressor out.

Leaking can also be the oil which is in the system for the compressor.

Most probably the compressor gone. But make sure you diagnose the problem correctly.
Look on the web for: diagnose automotive hvac compressor

Good luck with the repair.

Last edited by error_401; 02-07-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
kenig93 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I dont know where you ome from but here in Canada, the 94 AC system cannot be service anymore due to the nature of the gas system. We need to change the whole system to make it works with the proper gas type.

Ps I get rid of my AC system, if you want some parts let me know.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member
kenig93 is on a distinguished road

The clutch probably doesnt engage anymore( my guess)