1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Champion copper or platinum plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default Champion copper or platinum plugs?

I put in some platinum plugs in my Blazer recently when it was tuned up, Champion I think, not 100% sure, can't remember now.

I'm still battling a minor surge and miss. Could this be caused by plugs?

I was talking with my Dad the other day and he told me about a problem he had with his favorite car in the world, his Geo Metro 2DR w/ 5pd (51 MPG hwy or 50 MPG hwy if he runs the a/c, so he rarely runs the a/c, LOL).

He just did another tune-up (has over 250k miles) and used Bosch platinum plugs. The car wouldn't run. He put his old plugs back in and instantly started. He took the plugs back and the parts store said they have returned lots of platinum plugs that were bought for older cars due to problems.

So..... 93 s10 blazer. Could it not like platinum plugs for some reason or that even possible?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM engines do tend to like AC Delco plugs the best. For your engine, I thought that platinum plugs were offered from the factory, but I am not sure. I would go with whatever is stated on the emissions sticker underhood.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
gchambers3 is on a distinguished road

I have BOSCH 2+ platinum on my truck from hence I bought it from it's previous owner; ran GREAT idled smoothly and upon removal they are black with carbon and still spark strongly, who knows how long it had been in there! (and then my ignition died and now the timing is waaaaaaaay off...)

I've always been a very big fan of NGK personally, but the Haynes manual refers to a Champion #s

Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ditch those Bosch +# plugs. They are a gimic and are absolute garbage.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road

I agree w./ swartlkk, AC/Delco. My buddy has owned fleets of trucks over the years, and insists that you MUST put the OEM's brand plugs, oil/air filters-etc; into the SAME brand name vehicle. Why I, and many of you might ask? He told me ..."the manufacturer does NOT want to "eat" (lose) his profits by allowing BAD parts to be installed onto their motors, so they spend BIG bucks doing research on building the BEST parts, so that their warranties will cover and protect their investments!!

And BTW, his gas-engines in his trucks which would idle hours on end (which ruins alot of gas engines), had diesel-- like mileages on ALL of them, as in 300K up to 600K miles on them! Maybe it would be just luck if it weren't for the fact that ALL of his vehicles had such HIGH mileages on them! Besides, it is pretty hard to beat AC/Delco!!

They even made one of Mopar's BEST alternators ever a 100-amp model, that are practically bullet-proof. Even though I am a Mopar guy, I've got to admit it's almost impossible to beat AC/Delco for quality... And Motorcraft too for that matter, as my "Ferd" buddies tell me!

I always thought that was all silly "hype" but the more I thought about it you all, it makes TOTAL sense. If you run a business, you don't want to lose money, so you put the BEST parts ONLY designed for, and made to work in your SPECIFIC engines, otherwise you could lose TONS of money, right?

Last edited by BlazeringSaddles; 11-21-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rastoma
I was talking with my Dad the other day and he told me about a problem he had with his favorite car in the world, his Geo Metro 2DR w/ 5pd (51 MPG hwy or 50 MPG hwy if he runs the a/c, so he rarely runs the a/c, LOL).
Your da's not an USAF inspector is he? I had an sinpector down at Eglin that sent his Metro engines out for "upgrade" Don't get me wrong those little bastages had some juevos but just seems funny souping up a metro!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oisinirish
Your da's not an USAF inspector is he? I had an sinpector down at Eglin that sent his Metro engines out for "upgrade" Don't get me wrong those little bastages had some juevos but just seems funny souping up a metro!
I hear that ( on the juevos part!--LOL!). I rented a brand new '96 1.3 ltr. Metro and being brand new helped I guess, but even w./an automatic, it hauled ****!!! would LOVE one now, as gas is sure as hell going to go WAAAAAYYYYY UP again, and probably STAY there in the next few years. How soon we forget those $4. and $5./gallon rip-offs---LMAO!!---