1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Child Car Seat Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 PM
tiredduck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Car Seat Installation

Hey there, I just got a new carseat for my daughter it is a graco comfortsport convertible carseat and I don't know if the 1991 Blazer S10 are equiped with the latch system. Can someone help me out here and let me know what the proper way to install this car seat for my daughter would be. Should I use the seatbelt or the latch system?
Tiredduck

Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Child Car Seat Installation

Your truck will not have the latch system. I don't think they became mandatory until '01 or '02... So yeah, you are limited to using the seatbelt. If you are installing it forward facing and you have a tie down location behind the rear seats, then use that for the top strap on the seat. This is how I have my son's seat installed in my Bravada.

I'd love to find the parts to install the latch system into my Bravada. I'd also like to find the latch system for my Bonneville as well. It would make switching the car seat between the two SO much easier!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 PM
tiredduck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. That information is very helpful.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 AM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Your truck will not have the latch system. I don't think they became mandatory until '01 or '02... So yeah, you are limited to using the seatbelt. If you are installing it forward facing and you have a tie down location behind the rear seats, then use that for the top strap on the seat. This is how I have my son's seat installed in my Bravada.

I'd love to find the parts to install the latch system into my Bravada. I'd also like to find the latch system for my Bonneville as well. It would make switching the car seat between the two SO much easier!
If you did find a way to install the latch system in your truck, if I were you I wouldn't. I read an article that stated there have been several strangulation fatalities of children who's parents use the latch system to secure their car seats. Why take that risk? I just do it the old fashioned way to make sure my boys are safe.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A properly installed latch system in no way could strangle a child, period. If a parent somehow managed to strangle their kids with the latch system, they were not fit to be parents. There is no difference, strength or fit/function wise, between a properly installed latch system and using the seatbelt to hold the car seat in. One major difference for me is that it would be SO much easier to move the seat from vehicle to vehicle. 3 clips and it's in. Sinch it down with the belt provided and you're done. As it is now, I have to move that freakin' seat belt clip from vehicle to vehicle, put everything in only to find that the clip isn't adjusted right and screw around for another 1/2 hour to get it right (1/2 hr because I cannot get my arm through the back of it to thread the seatbelt through).

I have have not found anything that I can simply buy and install so I will be building them myself.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

What exactly are all the parts in the latch system?

I don't have kids, so... lol

Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Just the lower anchor points in the case of a Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada. I use one of the rear cargo tie downs for the top strap on the seat. The wife's car has 3 anchor points (1 top & 2 bottom) and putting in the car seat is simple and fast.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I can take a peek and see how easy it is to remove them... lol

Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

A properly installed latch system in no way could strangle a child, period. If a parent somehow managed to strangle their kids with the latch system, they were not fit to be parents. There is no difference, strength or fit/function wise, between a properly installed latch system and using the seatbelt to hold the car seat in. One major difference for me is that it would be SO much easier to move the seat from vehicle to vehicle. 3 clips and it's in. Sinch it down with the belt provided and you're done. As it is now, I have to move that freakin' seat belt clip from vehicle to vehicle, put everything in only to find that the clip isn't adjusted right and screw around for another 1/2 hour to get it right (1/2 hr because I cannot get my arm through the back of it to thread the seatbelt through).

I have have not found anything that I can simply buy and install so I will be building them myself.
I read it in Parents magazine, I think. Can't find the exact article but found another one you can look at. http://www.babylifestyle.com/article_sacbee_latch.html

Here's another article about the LATCH system that you might find interesting.
http://www.parents.com/parents/story...a/6074.jsp.xml

And I understand what you mean about having to move car seats. My husband and I drove different vehicles (both sports cars, what a pain!!) and we were constantly having to move my sons 2 car seats. When I bought the Blazer I decided to buy another set of car seats just to make it that much simpler.

Also, you mentioned yourarm is too big to thread the seatbelt thru the back...my husband had this problem. He started having our oldest do it for him...he'd push it thru a little bit and say "Here buddy, reach in and grab the other end."...he was only 3 at the time but it worked, LOL.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Administrator

1st article has nothing to do with the LATCH system, but more to do with the unused seat belt. Easily avoidable if the parent actually thinks about it.

2nd article is on specific seats. Any seat found to be unsafe usually is quickly removed from the market.

And we'd have to have 3 sets of car seats... While that is an option, it is not one I will entertain. Reason being is that I also have to routinely remove the car seat (soon to be seats - plural) for work purposes and toss it in the back or in the trunk.

While my son could help out, he rarely is around when I'm doing the swap between vehicles or just reinstalling it in the vehicle I'm currently driving. The lower anchors just make it easier. Being the engineer that I am, I can design a system that, although it may cost me good, will work flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Child Car Seat Installation