1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

surges at cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM
proper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default surges at cold start up

I have a 1994 s-10 4x4 with the 4.3L (w) that when started cold (outside temp. below 45 deg F.) will surge until it some what warms up. If I tap the accelerator a little it will idle normal for about 10-20 seconds then start to surge agin. When it warms up to normal operating temp. it runs like a champ, even when re-starting.
I replaced the fuel filter about 10k ago, fuel pump and spyder about 6 years ago. Did a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) about 4 months ago.
Any help would be great.

Last edited by proper; 01-13-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
bestwrench45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: surges at cold start up

you may want to check vac lines ,cam position sensor,crank position sensor

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Beginning Member
bigjohn1139 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever find the problem? I have the same one...

Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM

I didn't, did you? Summer came and the problem went away now its winter and the problem is back.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Beginning Member
sweet-98ta is on a distinguished road

Same problem here too. No one seems to know. Only thing I noticed was that the timing bounces around a little. When it's warm outside, it runs fine and the timing does not bounce. I have replaced everything in my ignition system, thermostat, coolant temp sender, and cpi unit. Nothing has fixed it so I just live with it.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Starting Member
Darrin is on a distinguished road

I have a 94 blazer with a 350 that is doing the same thing. I have replaced almost everything and still can not find the problem. It only surges when cold and runs great once it warms up. Would love to find the problem. If you figure it out, please let me know. Thanks

Old 05-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Beginning Member
Meganutter is on a distinguished road

I had surges as well when it was cold. When i contacted a garage he took a look at it and saw some coolant leaking from the upper radiator tube where it connected to the engine itself. He said that it would run a lot smoother and surges less if he tightened that so it wouldnt leak.
After he tightened it some more the leaking stopped as well as the surges.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Still no fix and it pretty much surges at start up and idle and will idle high when it warms up. Had the fuel pump replaced about 2 months ago and pulled the throttle position switch which was really gummed up and cleaned it. That seemed to help at first then it all started again. Is there a way to test that switch?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you cleaned the throttle body & IAC (idle air control) valve? Is the throttle shaft smooth if you disconnect all of the cables & move it by hand?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by proper
Still no fix and it pretty much surges at start up and idle and will idle high when it warms up. Had the fuel pump replaced about 2 months ago and pulled the throttle position switch which was really gummed up and cleaned it. That seemed to help at first then it all started again. Is there a way to test that switch?
Is that a 'switch' .. or a sensor? If it's a sensor, which most TPS are, it's like having an old fashioned volume control under your hood.
You really cant 'clean it' and have the effect last long.

And it will cause that sort of problems; among others, depending on what positions are flaky. You can test it... best way is with old fashioned needle type ohmmeter, digital meters do not react quickly enough.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: surges at cold start up