1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

codes a lot

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member
drtyblnd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default poor throtle response

i have a 91 four door 4.3 tbi with less than 30,000 miles on it and it just bogs down i cant get over 20 mph ive checked the fuel pump, egr, egr cylinoid dist. map and i just cant figure it out the carb was also rebuilt when the motor was. could this be a computer problem maybe, or just a bad sensor some where thats affecting the comp. ive been on this all day and nothing i thought it might have been the fuel pump so i replaced it and now i get codes 12, 22, 33, 34, 43, initialy starting it, it runs fine as it warms up after a few minuts i give it gas and it just bogs down like its a lawnmower in high grass somthins up and i cant figure it out thers another guy (lwegner) sounds like a pretty similar problem but not sure any help would be appreciated thankyou!

Last edited by drtyblnd; 06-26-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: better title
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes age and low mileage do not combine to be favorable. Lack of use is actually worse than high use in terms of engines, transmissions, and suspension components.

With your problem, I would start by checking and replacing the vacuum lines. It is quite possible that the lines have deteriorated from age and lack of use. This can cause a lot of problems with the earlier speed density controlled vehicles. Especially if the vacuum line to the MAP sensor has deteriorated.

From there, look at each code.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the reply! vacume lines look good not broke cracked or deteriorated i replaced a few more things and since then most of the codes are gone 22,23,33,34,43, but one now i get code 24 low voltage to the map should the map be replaced i also here some noise coming from the tbi probably the presure regulator i think, good news is i got it to start ! but it still runs like crap
__________________________________________________ _____________

ok i think i have made some progress buuuut! i dont know how to diagnose it i took the vacume line off the brake booster and the idle smoothed out alot but it still bogs down im not sure what this means it kind of sounds like its not geting enough air. i removed the fuel lines to the tbi and presure was good and now the onley code i get is 12 im really stumped here and i appretiat any help i can get thank you

Last edited by drtyblnd; 06-26-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member

wohoo! three four days about three bills replaced fuel pump map sens. temp control egr. and the kicker was the cat. conv. it looked pretty new but looks can be deceiving i guess.now it runs good definetly more power and throttle response. oh well i got some new stuff. maybe milage will improve to

Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One can only hope on the mileage aspect. Glad you got it fixed up and thanks for letting us know what the issue was.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Blazercrazy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my 94 vortex tonight, problem was just the filter for me tho.
Glad to see another first gen going strong!