1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Dash Lights (Non Digital dash)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Aneurysm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dash Lights (Non Digital dash)

my instrument cluster is completely dark so I need to replace every bulb in there. I know the circuits work because the heater controls and 4x4 are still lit. So I went to the store and he looked on his computer and ended up selling me 6 of these tiny little bulbs. so hopefully thats enough and that they are the right ones.

What I need is some direction on replacing them, anyone know the "easy" way to approach this? I was hoping for some direction before I start tearing apart my dash and pulling out random screws that I dont even know what they are for.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Dash Lights (Non Digital dash)

Wow thanks for all the great replies, it was exactly what I was looking for !!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Glad to be of assistance

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

What year is it? On my 89 I've done it a few times to swap LEDs. Here's how I did it more or less.
1. Remove the panels under the steering column.
2. Remove headlight switch panel and switches.
3. Unscrew HVAC controls and pull it out as far as you can.
4. Drop the steering column (2 13mm? bolts)
5. Start removing the 4 outer nuts holding the dash in. Accessed behind the light switch and HVAC controls.
6. Remove the cover, I think I rotated it out towards the pass side.
7. Remove the last 4 nuts holding the gauge cluster in.
8. Unplug the cluster and remove.

Something like that.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

We try to be of assistance whenever possible sir.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 PM

Right thanks I guess I forgot to mention the year, slip on my part, its a 1992 S10 4x4. sorry about that. Didnt want to stir the pot or anything but yeah, the guy at the store sold me some LEDs so I am a little insecure about that, see I had a '79 Sierra Grande and well that was easy, it was like christmas lights, little twist plugs. I have no idea what to do with these LED things. You used to be able to reach right up under the dash and swap them without unbolting much at all.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 PM
BF Veteran

Those new fangled '92s....

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: Aneurysm

Right thanks I guess I forgot to mention the year, slip on my part, its a 1992 S10 4x4. sorry about that. Didnt want to stir the pot or anything but yeah, the guy at the store sold me some LEDs so I am a little insecure about that, see I had a '79 Sierra Grande and well that was easy, it was like christmas lights, little twist plugs. I have no idea what to do with these LED things. You used to be able to reach right up under the dash and swap them without unbolting much at all.
Run through this. If you can find them locally get the twist in base. That way you don't have to re-use the old ones. You can, but it's just faster to use new ones. With the LED's make sure you get them in right, or they won't light up. I followed the traces on the panel and labeled the positive and negative. I then tested each LED on a power supply (battery 9-12volt) and marked the polarity. That way I knew I had all the LED's in right and would light up correctly.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM

I am in college right now to be an electrician and they actually tell us not to apply our knowledge to automotive wiring but it gets frustrating. Wolfpack I admire your sarcastic poin of view. However I was born in 82.

Blazin_Jason your two posts have been the only help, let alone sense, I have gotten out of this thread. Praise to you sir and I hope the moderators can one day follow in your footsteps. your posts make it easy to understand and I feel like I can do this now. Thank you

Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 AM
BF Veteran

All the information found above could have been found on your own, using the search feature. There's more than 10,000 users on this forum...don't you think someone else may have had the same question?

I only gave you saracasm in response to yours. If you were unhappy with the lack of responses, maybe you should have simply bumped it after 24 hours...why wait 4 days then get snippy?

Quick Reply: Dash Lights (Non Digital dash)