1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Dead Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 AM
jwfresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dead Tahoe

Hi Guys,

My mom bought a "used" '94 blazer about a year ago. Shortly after she got it, it died in Wal-Mart's parking lot and has not started since. When we try to start it there is a loud clank (sounds like the starter solenoid kicking). Usually the motor does not turn but occasionally it will roll over a few times slowly. After trying to start the truck several times in a row the battery cable to the starter will start to smoke. The starter, solenoid, and battery are new and we have tried starting it with the belts removed. I'm assuming that it's the battery cables. Anyone have suggestions?

Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dead Tahoe

Sounds like you have MUCH bigger issues than the starter. If it just died on her, chances are something caused it to die. I'd drain the oil and have a look in it to see if you can find any tell-tale signs of engine damage. Sounds to me like the motor locked up and that's why you're having some troubles. You also might want to pull all of the spark plugs and see if it'll turn over then. It won't start, but you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Another thing to try is to spin it over with a breaker bar on the center bolt in the front of the crank. With the plugs out, you should be able to spin it over relatively easy (1/2" rachet with one hand).

Out of curiosity, how many miles does the truck have one it? Also, it's a 350 right...?

Old 12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
jwfresh is an unknown quantity at this point

It has the 4.3 Vortec V6 4x4, Automatic Tranny. If the engine seized would it turn sometimes when we try to start it? Also, the oil and water look fine. Her boyfriend tells me that the motor didn't over heat...it just stalled pulling into Wal-Mart. I'm running out of ideas here.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... So is it an S10 Blazer or a C/K1500 Blazer? If it's the larger platform... I guess I didn't know that they put the v6 in the large platform SUVs. That was why I referenced the 350... To me 'Tahoe' = C/K1500 Based vehicle, but I guess back then it was just a trim level...

Anyway, everything I said still applies. Engines seize up rock solid, and then sometimes they'll just get stiff... You really need to determine if you have a problem with the starting system or the engine reciprocating assembly... I do suppose that it could be a failed torque convertor that has the engine and tranny locked together... Everything that I have mentioned is a worse case scenario. You really need to run through the checks I have stated. The most beneficial one would be to turn the crank by hand via a breaker bar and socket. Do this with the plugs out. It should move relatively easy. If it doesn't, you've got some pretty big problems.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the battery cable.

Not sure what you expected by removeing the serp belt. All that does is drive the accessories.