1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Delete AC unit-S10/Blazer/1994

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Beginning Member
kenig93 is on a distinguished road
Default Delete AC unit-S10/Blazer/1994

Hi,

I want to get rid of all the Ac components.

Why: First it need a new Bearing, the strap need to be change, nobody service old AC, I want more clean space under the hood and save some weight.

I did a research to found a How-to but didnt found one. I will post the development here.

So far what I found is:

1. Purge the system. (Mine is already empty according to a mechanic)
2. Unplug everything
3. Get rid of the Condenser. (Front of the Radiator)
For this part Im not sure how to access it without taking out the Rad. So I will leave it until I start playing with the front grill or the Radiator in a next future/
4. Take off the compressor and all the rest.

So there is 2 problems I might found during the process:

The Blower vent becoming to big without the AC.
The belt routing

I will perform the "surgery" in the next days and leave all the proces in this thread.

If any of you have suggestion I be happy to read about it.

Thanks

Old 03-01-2016, 06:50 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

condenser you usually have to remove the grill
belt routing, Dorman bypass pulley part # 34152 most part stores carry it. It bolts in place of the compressor and lets you use the stock belt and routing

Last edited by odat; 03-01-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its still totally clear.

Can I take out the compressor and route the belt as a Non-AC model?
Can I take out the Condenser only by taking off the Grill and do it without touching the Radiator?

I will figure all of it by doing it but I want to be prepared and get the most information as possible.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 PM

with the bypass pulley the routing is the same as if you have AC - pulley just takes the place of the compressor - it's a large pulley on a bracket - do a search on the net for dorman 34152 and you will see what it looks like

on most the grill is removed and the radiator stays in place and does not have to be removed
edit - here went out and took a pic of mine

Last edited by odat; 10-06-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the picture.

Did you delete all of the HACV or only the Ac system?

How did you manage to close the blower cover? Aftermarket, homemade or swap from a different vehicule?

Old 03-02-2016, 02:12 PM

All of this is in my 4x4 rx7 in my avatar, The body is rx7, the running gear is 1992 GMC Jimmy, Both vehicles had complete AC units but trying to combine the two is like apples and oranges

The Gmc radiator also fills the front from inside wheel well to the other, so there is no where to run the condenser lines up in front of the radiator

So in my case every thing under hood has been removed, the lines going into interior were sealed and all AC parts were left inside the heater case.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member

That can be an option; leaving the Ac part into the Heater case.
I didnt do the "surgery" yet, since is missing the Bypass pulley wich is 60$ at my parts dealer.
I changed the Serpentine belt tho. 10 minutes job.
16mm socket and a cheater bar. thats it.

What about the wiring of the AC? Do you need to leave some plugged to prevent any Code?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:23 PM

It shouldn't be a problem, if I remember right only wires under hood for AC is pump and pressure switch

the RX has all the GMC wiring installed and no Mazda wiring at all. All AC wiring on mine is just tucked back into the looming, figured if I ever could wrap my head around how to get lines up front and how to frankenstine the GMC to Mazda lines together I might want too add AC

the Pulley at summit racing is $33.97 and they do ship to Canada you would have to look on the site and see how much shipping is - may save you a buck or two

Last edited by odat; 03-02-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: looked up pricing
Old 03-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member

I order all the parts from RockAuto and Summit. the pulley is around 30$can.
Ill do the intake gasket, spark plugs, wiring, rotor and cap as soon as everything here.

So you put a 4.6l Gmc in a RX7? How can that fit?! Sound like sorcery to me!

Wich wiring is for the pressure switch? The wirng for the pump is kind of obvious to found but the other one I have no idea yet.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:52 PM

pressure switch is on the AC lines - just watch for any wiring attached to the AC unit as you remove it - any wiring on the heater box itself leave.

The 4.3 actually fits pretty well, in this pic AC unit is still there and really the only thing I don't like and can't change is the air cleaner, {not shown in this pic} had to go with a K&N cone filter and no way to get it to cold air - shortened old frame by 10 inches then we built and installed a new center section - fun project - and it's a blast to tool around in

wiring was something to accomplish, all wiring is now GMC over 300 shrink wrap solder joints under hood, 200 under dash, wires either had to be shorted or added length, and oh yes delete stuff that wasn't needed in this application.

for things like lighting and heater controls as they are all electrical adapting from GMC to Japan built was interesting, but in the end every thing works as it should, even the anti lock brake system from the Jimmy was installed

Last edited by odat; 10-06-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Delete AC unit-S10/Blazer/1994