1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Died after running/idling for 30 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:14 AM
Comfortably numb is on a distinguished road
Default Died after running/idling for 30 minutes

Hi everyone! First post here. Glad there are still enough Blazer owners around to keep a forum going.
I have a 1988 S10 with the 4.3 engine and auto transmission. Long story made short, I don't drive it during the winter much because my mud tires are terrible on ice. So this winter was particularly bad, so I just pulled the battery out of it and let it sit for four months. I ran most of the gas out of it and changed the oil before putting it away. Yesterday, it finally got warm enough that I put the battery back in, added some non-ethanol fuel, and fired it up. It started and ran great. Took it around the block several times, then let it idle while I put some air in the tires. Suddenly, after running for over 30 minutes, it just died while I was pumping up the last tire. I tried starting it, but all it does is crank. It will not fire up. I immediately thought that the new fuel must've kicked up some junk in the tank, and either plugged the fuel filter or killed the pump, but I can't even get it to fire up while squirting starter fluid into the throttle body. So that makes me think it's something electrical. The previous owner wired in an aftermarket alarm system, and it did act goofy when I put the battery in, and the remotes don't seem to be doing anything. My mechanic friend says that the alarm might be keeping it from starting, and it may have killed the engine as a theft protection. Or it just plain malfunctioned after 20 years, and needs to be bypassed. However, I cannot hear the pump priming up at all, so it could still be that. But I would think if it were that, I'd still be able to get some action with starting fluid, but no.
Really stumped here. Please help! Any ideas welcomed. I've got to get this figured out asap because it's blocking my garages so I can't get my other cars out!

Old 03-27-2019, 04:11 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Check your fuel pressure, and check for spark at the plugs. That'll help narrow it down, at least

Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Forum... This is beyond me but rest assured you will figure it out with all the helpful people on here!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Check your fuel pressure, and check for spark at the plugs. That'll help narrow it down, at least
What's the best way to do these things?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Comfortably numb
What's the best way to do these things?
Rent a fuel pressure tester at a parts store, there's numerous write ups here on the values you need to see.

For spark, how I do it is remove a plug from the head. Put the plug wire back on, firmly press the ground strap of the plug onto something metal and unpainted. Exhaust manifolds work well. Have someone crank the truck, and watch for spark in the plug gap. Be careful to hold the wire far enough back, so it doesn't shock you lol.

If you want a method that's less caveman, and much safer, they make spark plug testers. Not sure if you can rent those as well

Old 03-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Rent a fuel pressure tester at a parts store, there's numerous write ups here on the values you need to see.

For spark, how I do it is remove a plug from the head. Put the plug wire back on, firmly press the ground strap of the plug onto something metal and unpainted. Exhaust manifolds work well. Have someone crank the truck, and watch for spark in the plug gap. Be careful to hold the wire far enough back, so it doesn't shock you lol.

If you want a method that's less caveman, and much safer, they make spark plug testers. Not sure if you can rent those as well
Ok, that's the way I tested it for spark too, and there was none. Should I even go rent the fuel pressure tester now?
No spark means either the ignition module is bad, or the alarm has disabled something in the ignition system?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran

If you're not getting spark, I would address that first. Not sure what type of ignition yours has, I'm not familiar with first gens, but sometines you can get an auto parts store to test ignition control modules.

As far as the alarm, you're on your own, man! Have no clue about that, never had to mess with one (knock on wood)

Old 03-27-2019, 07:08 PM

If you're not getting spark, I would address that first. Not sure what type of ignition yours has, I'm not familiar with first gens, but sometines you can get an auto parts store to test ignition control modules.

As far as the alarm, you're on your own, man! Have no clue about that, never had to mess with one (knock on wood)
Thanks for the reply. I wish the previous owner would've never put the stinking alarm system in. It's useless.
Now I just gotta decide if I want to spend money chasing down electrical stuff, or just have the junkyard come get it. After screwing around with it all day today, I'm leaning more to the junkyard route tonight......

Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran

If it's an aftermarket alarm system, how hard would it be to bypass? Or is it spliced into the harness pretty well?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 PM

If it's an aftermarket alarm system, how hard would it be to bypass? Or is it spliced into the harness pretty well?
It's a rat's nest of wires under the steering column, and they are all 30 year old wires that don't bend too well anymore. But I have isolated the group coming out of the alarm brain box, and maybe I can find a way to bypass it. But I'm not too good at electrical stuff. I rewire the pigtail to my trailer about 5 times a year, and that's about the extent of my electrical knowledge! Lol!

Quick Reply: Died after running/idling for 30 minutes