1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Differential and Chassis Lube

Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Differential and Chassis Lube

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to check and change or add fluid to the differentials and how to lube the chassis, or if it even needs it. Are the front diff. and rear diff. different meaning one has oil and one is greased? Would i need a grease gun?

Kas

Old 11-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Differential and Chassis Lube

Both the front and rear diffs can use the same lube (80w90 or equivalent, gl5 if you have a G80 limited slip rear diff). You will need a grease gun for the ball joints, tierod ends, pitman pivot and idler pivot. You may have to pull off the front splash guard to access the later two.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 AM

Well I went to a oil change place, (not a good one) and they put oil in the front diff. I think the bottle said synthetic gear oil.
Is there anyway I can drain it and put in the one you recommended? They also said that the rear was grease. They barely spoke english so I didnt trust them.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure there is a way to drain it and refill it. Some of the earlier IFS axles used the lowest bolt on the housing as a drain plug and others had a dedicated drain. There will also be a fill plug higher up on the diff.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 AM

thanks kyle for your help. I'll check it out tomorrow

kas

Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM

I was wondering, how do I change the rear diff. gear oil? I found the plug where I can check it and add, but how do I drain it? Its all black and gunky. I bought new oil, but I gotta take the old oil out first

Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Ask and ye shall receive:
Rear Axle Service

Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 AM

Hey Kyle,

Thanks for that linked. Really shows alot. Would I have to buy a new gasket? And I bought the 80w 90, like you suggested, but i think i need more cuz i dont think its enought, its just a small bottle.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Administrator

The fluid capacity should be 1.75 quarts so get atl east 2 in case you spill some (maybe 3 if you are really bad at getting it in there).

Yeah, you'll want a new gasket unless you want to use black RTV. If you don't have a rear sway bar (which I don't think the older ones had), you can use the RTV quite easily. With a rear sway bar it just becomes too much of a hassle and VERY messy! LOL. Just make sure that no matter what you choose (gasket or RTV), that you have the surfaces as clean as possible!

Good luck and any more questions, just post up!