1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Digital Cluster Issue As Well??

Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
tableblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Digital Cluster Issue As Well??

Joined because I like what I see, in the forums, and just aquired a 94 T-15 Blazer, a quick low down, have not driven yet!
-Blown motor(thrown rod) - have replacement for it(whew)
-Drivers door won't open - fixed, might require latch in future
-rear window not opening - fixed - tailgate was bent
->lots of other little things that I can handle, but the reason isthe same as others with the "cluster issue", mine shows speedo, odometer cuts in andout, no gauges light up at all.
->I have removed the cluster, did not notice any thing but very little corrosion on a couple of solder joints. I cleaned up and check the solder for cracks etc. nothing!

I have seen that there are places on e-bay that will sell a repair kit, just wondering if anyone has tried this and does it work, or should I just send it out to one of the shops I have found on the web???

I am a tech with 16 years working on everything, and this is the first cluster I have came across with this issue(having it in my hands) so to speak

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, I will try to respond in a timely fashion(please excuse if I don't)

Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Digital Cluster Issue As Well??

Thankfully my 94 doesn't have the digital dash every forum I look at there's somebody complaining about how unreliable they are and constant issues with parts of them not working, if it were me id swap to the traditional dash and eliminate all the problems once and for all.
If you really want to keep it digital take a magnifying glass and look very closely at the cold solder joints those seem to be the most common issue. whichever way you choose to go good luck and keep us informed.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 PM

I am pondering the thought of the analog cluster, has anyone posted a swap???
->Like I mentioned in original post, I am a tech with 16 yrs of fixing everything.Is it as easy as cluster, harness, and both wiring diagrams, or am i looking at replacing sensors as well to go with the analog cluster(I could spend the time to check all parts lists and see if same) but prefer not to waste that much time

thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe they just had to make an adapter of sorts to fit between the dash and the analog cluster but not positive never paid too much attention since i didnt have one myself however if you do a search you should find more specific info (ill see if i can dig it up when time allows) worst case check some of the links from this thread no such thing as too many sources for info

Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM

checking "thread now"

thanks