1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Do you recommend STS for this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Joey0480 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you recommend STS for this?

Alright picked up a 93 blazer with 73K on it. Took it to STS to be looked over. Needs front brakes (which I knew), needs a heater core put in which I have but they won't put in, also needs an idler arm, pitman arm, and inner tie rod....and they are still looking it over.

Now my question is would you guys recommend having them do it? Or should I go to a local mechanic that some of my family has been using. This is my first older vehicle that needs work, thus why I am asking....

Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Do you recommend STS for this?

Who is STS?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an old saying if you have to ask. I don't understand why they wouldn't install a part you already have? Athough I had the same similar thing on another truck I had, I purchased the part but fell short on time so I took it to a shop about 2 miles from my house. There excuse for not putting in the part was because it was defective. So I let them fix it and took the other part back to the store the guy opened it up and said it was fine, he then ask where I had gotten the work done at, so I told him he said man you got ripped. I paid 700 for the repair and found out it actually should have cost me about 350. He said they are famous for that because they inflate the prices of there parts to make more money. Needless to say I complained and even consulted an attorney which got me nowhere needless to say I don't do business there and steer friend clear of there also.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 AM

agreed,
I got a quote yesterday for 1864 which was for both tie rods and sleeves, pitman arm, idle arm, 4 shocks, front brakes, alignment...just seemed a bit high to me...actually, really high...they wanted $550 for four shocks...installed...now I can get ranchos at autozone for $50 each and pay pepboys $16 each to install...(I can't break the bolts)
Both tie rods and sleeves and what not were $528
$171 for idle arm
$178 for pitman arm
$229 for front brakes (WHAT?????)
Just was way to much. My cousin went and picked it up and took it to his mechanic to check it out.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I think you were on your way to getting hosed! Wow 550 for the shocks even installed did you ask if that included road side assistance and maybe a free $300 gas card. lol. The last time I had my brakes done I didn't have time to do it myself so I took it to a guy in my area that does good work and is very reputable. He charged me $875.00 included (4 calipers, 2 brake lines, 4 rotors, pads all the way around) and labor. Since I had already priced the stuff I think I got a heck of a deal. Oh and he also replace all of the front ball joints that were getting bad. $875 seems like a lot but the amount of parts and labor I think it was a very good deal its been a year and a half and everything is still looking good and the breaks are great. I hate taking my truck for repairs especially when its something I can do but timeseems to be my greatest enemy. lol. Although when you get good service, I meanwhen I take it I at 8 am after I got off of work set till noon - he had to order some of the parts for the parts store, but 4 hours with four complete breaks and a few other things, not bad) Like I said check around first if you have something else to drive after being in a hurry leads to bad decisions!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks
I was thinking why they were double the price of going elsewhere for shocks (and he said they weren't leaking gas but they should be replaced) but the price was nuts. As far as i know for the front brakes, it was just pads and maybe cutting the rotors...whereas when i called pepboys for a comparison, they said $129.

With this mechanic it is at today, my cousin and his family have been seeing him for 15 years, so they feel comfy with him. We will see what he says needs to be done and cost wise. I picked up the truck for the winter...so right now the Evo is still on the road...so not rushing...just pricing...and hoping to get it fixed soon though.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Well, you can always tell where a shop makes its money if they don't let you bring in you're own parts, lol.

My old Lumina Z34, the leaf spring on it needed replacing... A factory fibreglass one was about $850 Canadian (at the time, would've been about $500 - 600 US) one shop, I asked, didn't let you bring in you're own parts, and wanted $1600 for just the spring. I went to a local heavy duty trailer parts shop (semi trailers...) and got a steel leaf spring (direct replacement!) for like $150...

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT go to midas! lol, I got them to change my spring, and 2 days later I blew a brake line because they pinched it with the spring...

Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 AM
erhit@hotmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point

They reason shops will not put in customers parts (other than to make more money) is that they can not guarantee parts that they do not sell. If the part turned out to be bad, you might get your money back on the part from the parts store, but your out the cost of labor.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

My Chevy dealership has always installed parts I bought for my vehicles... If something goes wrong, it'll get checked to see if it's a part, or labour issue... If it's a part issue, it's my fault, same as if I'd installed it myself, however, they warranty their labour for 30 - 90 days.... I can't remember which, but somewhere in there.

Any decent shop should be able to install the parts for you... You just won't get warranty from them for parts faliure.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The shop I used to work at installed customer supplied parts, however the labor rate went up, and the warrenty went to zero.