1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Electrical Problem. Dash Lights and Tail light fuse keeps blowing! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
X Gixxer 1000 X is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical Problem. Dash Lights and Tail light fuse keeps blowing! HELP

Im fixing this truck for my girl. Its a 1994 V6 4 door auto 2x4 chevy blazer. Her fuse for the tail lamps the 20A fuse blows as soon as you put it in and flip the switch for the lights. The dash goes out and the tail lights aswell. I pulled the dash apart to look over everything and the wire from the switch to the fuse box was melted (the orange one) and I pulled it away from the other wires and made sure it wasnt grounding out. So far I cant see anything. What do you guys think is the problem? Is there any other leads I can check? Do the switches go bad? Anyone have a wiring diagram they can email me? Shes bringing her truck here today and I would like to get it fixed for her. Thanks for anyhelp!

Nick

Last edited by X Gixxer 1000 X; 06-15-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Starting Member
Btoops396 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem. mine was trailer hitch connecter wires. one of the wire was shorting out with the frame. but my dash and taillights would go out whenever i hit the breaks...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You should replace that burned wire that you found, and also pop out the taillights and signal lights to have a look at where the wires pass through the body of the truck. Thats a nice place for grounding out. The metal rubs through the wire loom after years and shorts it. You can also grab a couple spare fuses and see if you can make them pop when you wiggle around that burned wire with the lights on.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Well I pulled the carpet up and I disconnected everything running to the back lights and put a fuse in and pop. I also disconnected the bottom right bank coming from the fuse box into the engine bay and tried a fuse and it popped. I taped up the orange wire running from the fuse box to the switch. The brown wire that comes off the switch was also melted and I taped that up and made sure it wasnt touching anyother wires. I have disconnect everything under the dash and tried a fuse and was going to start connecting things untill it popped but I didnt get that far since it pops anytime I flip the switch. It wont even give me a split second to wiggle any wires. Ive pretty much ruled out the tail lights and the parking lights. I havent checked the power yet that is coming to the fuse box for that fuse. But the power that comes in that bank also supplies the power for the radio on a different fuse and that works just fine. Im at a loss here. I need some major help.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I would wonder why both wires coming off that switch are burned. Maybe take your friend on a romantic date to the wreckers and grab a switch and some other goodies you find.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM
pirkeltooned is on a distinguished road

Do you have an aftermarket cd player in this? If so I know your problem, lmk

Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Yes its an aftermarket cd player. I took the entire dash board apart last night and cleaned up the mess the guy made of an alarm system who previously owned the car. The problem is still there but the wires look a lot better. I wrapped all the burned wires so they wont ground out and touch anything. The brown wire going to the back of the switch is leading to the problem I just cant trace it without a wiring diagram. I followed the other brown wire into the engine compartment and to the parking lights, that wasnt the problem. I jumped the wires to make sure it wasnt the switch and that doesnt seem to be the problem. What does it have to do with the radio?!?!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by pirkeltooned
Do you have an aftermarket cd player in this? If so I know your problem, lmk
Yess. Aftermarket cd player. What do you think it is???

Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Still chasing this short.. Gonna pull the radio tonight and check that dimmer wire. That seems like it could be it according to the wiring diagram. Maybe the orange one too? Im not sure. Does any one have the wiring instructions for a 94 blazer to wire up a jvc reciever?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Invertiguy is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find your elusive short? I'm having the exact same problem on my 1995 Blazer. It also has an aftermarket radio... any suggestions as to what to do?

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem. Dash Lights and Tail light fuse keeps blowing! HELP