1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine lost its power

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Starting Member
jannes_z-28 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine lost its power

OK, now when I found the ODBI connector I've got some codes to help solve my problem.

I got codes 33 & 45
33 = Map sensor signal out of range, High
45 = O2 sensor rich exhaust.

Before I started it I only got Code 45, it was cold and ran rough and after that run Code 33 showed up.

When its warm its idle normally but when cold its rough. The EGR is moving so it maybe is OK.

The exhaust smells of fuel, looking down the TBI it looks like a lot of fuel, I can see drops on the throttle blades.

When running it is out of power, pushing the gas pedal results in bluddering and powerless.

I suspect some kind of fuelproblem but would appreciate some hints on where to start looking.

Thanks

Jan

Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a look at the MAP sensor first. This sensor is used to determine engine load for fuel requirements (along with a few other sensors). An incorrect reading from this sensor could cause the symptoms you are experiencing. I have posted the MAP sensor values for various elevations in other threads. A search for "MAP+elevation" with an author of "swartlkk" should turn up the relevant information.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Starting Member

I have changed the MAP Sensor now but it didn't do any difference.

When looking for parts I found that Standard # AS165 should be the one for my S10 Blazer, it would fit 84-94. This one was unfortunately rest ordered and they suggested Standard #AS5 for S10Blazer 86-90, mine is a '92.

I got the AS5 but my problems are the same.

I suspect that the MAP sensor I got isn't the proper one for my car.

Would these two make that much of a difference?

Jan

Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Starting Member

I am struggling on with my car.

I got an used MAP sensor from another S10 Blazer and it didn't make things any better. So I have to start looking for other reasons for my problems.

Must be some fuel problems. Now it doesn't even try to start, just dead with an occasional sputter.

I will check the fuelfilter, I did change that a year ago, but I guess they can clog up anyway.

Jan

Old 01-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Wink is on a distinguished road

Ok, it seems to me you probably should brake out the good 'ol multimeter and a good set of eyes. Check your connectors. See if any of the wires are broken or if the connectors are corroded. Bad connectors seem to happen a lot in humid climates.

With the multimeter, make sure you're getting 5v DC on the power wire. Then check the ground wire to a good chassis ground to make sure that wire isn't bad to the ecu. As for the signal wire, just unplug the ecu and test for continuity. It sounds like you have a problem with the harness or connector.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Starting Member
Default Engine lost its power, now it is dead

OK, I have done a few things but I am going downhill on this.

I have changed the fuel pressure regulator.

I have changed the MAP-sensor, it reads 4.8V when ignition is on and engine not running. It reads between 4.0 and 4.3 when cranking on startmotor.

I have checked the fuel filter and the injectors spray fuel when cranking.

It has spark (at least on cyl 1)

I have cleaned the distributor cap from some oxide.

I have no error codes anymore ( I had for the MAP before it was changed)

But it won't start, it is dead, it can sputter occassionly but it is more or less dead.

I can't see any loose hoses or connections. There is no mechanical noise.

What should I do???

Jan

Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Starting Member

I have struggled with this problem and I am still nothing near a conclusion.

So far I have changed almost everything.
Fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
MAP
Coil
Ignition module
Rotor
Cap
Sparkplugs
Temp sensor

At least I now get it started but it will not run. First time it started it ran almost ok on idle but as soon as I touched the gas pedal it dies.

Then it only starts with wide open throttle and will only run very roughly with WOT and then it dies if I lift the throttle.

It smells a lot of gas and is apparently running very rich.

What can be left to do, I am out of ideas.....

Thanks

Jan

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked your fuel pressure?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Starting Member

No, I haven't but as you see I have a new pump and regulator.

Jan

Quick Reply: Engine lost its power