1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

external oil pumps lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member
ethan.zick is on a distinguished road
Default external oil pumps lines

i was wondering if anyone has some pics of were the oil lines for the external oil pump run on a 94 s10 blazer 4x4 or a web site with a diagram

Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

External oil pump...? Are you sure that you don't mean remote oil filter?

Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Mine has an adapter where the horizontal small/long oil filter would be (passenger side bottom) and the lines go across the bottom of the engine on the front side, and up the drivers side by the power steering. The filter is located UNDER the air filter box behind the drivers front headlight. I have to take the air filter box cover off to get the oil filter out.

Im guessing you are trying to install a remote oil filter? Dont bother, those lines will leak and make a mess allover, I wish I had the oil filter down underneath the truck so the mess dripped on the road...

Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member

if i replace the mesed up lines will it still leak or can you convert it to normal

Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Well, I have added external oil filters to customers cars before... So I would imagine that you can just remove the lines and end up with a normal oil filter location...? If its possible I want to do this to my blazer. I havent really been underneath mine yet to have a look for you. I dont see why you couldnt remove it all though. Mine leaks really bad up by the filter and I dont like the mess.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

guys, if you have the remote oil filter, you're never gonna put a filter on the block-the front diff won't allow for this. why do you think it's on there in the first place? and only on the 4WD trucks?

now, i've replaced the lines on all of the 1st gen trucks i've owned, and none of them have ever leaked again.

but if you're gonna replace the lines, i'd opt for the newer design, and get the ones that put it under the rad craddle, and it's the same filter block that's up there in the fender, so it's just the lines you'd need.

ethan, if your truck is a 2WD, why the hell would you want to install the remote filter? it's gonna be mesy. no matter what you do when you change the filter,it's gonna drip. i used to wrap large old rags around the filter before i took it off, and it would still drop a bit of oil.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:12 AM

Cool theres something for me to look for at the junkyard! I wouldnt mind the new design lines that mount at the rad cradle.

BTW mine doesnt leak at all when I undo the filter, and the filter is only about half full when I take it off. The mess is from the lines where the rubber is fused into the metal ends of the lines.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Beginning Member

it is a 4wd i went and just bought the new lines from checker last night so today i will be having fun removing the skid plates and getting oily thanks for all the help guys

Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

im starin to change the lines is there a easy wa to get the en on the motor off? there is not enough room to get a wrench between the front differential to get at it any sugestions will help

Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you're talking about removing the lines from the housing that bolts to the engine? (kinda hard to decipher).

i just used two 12" extensions (and maybe a 6" if needed), feed them through from the front of the truck-running parallel to the lines-and then put on the 13mm socket (since it won't fit through where the extensions need to go) and removed the bolt that way. i've done it that way a few times (multipule vehicles) and it's been the easiest. in fact, i really can't see any other way to do it.

now, pulling those lines out is a bit tricky, but i remember having to rotate the lines 180* (clockwise i think) so that the engine side of the lines clears the engine mount, block, and...........was it the diff center section? been a while since i last did one, but i do remember hte need to rotate it, for it to come out.

and you'll also need to pull them down below the rad craddle as you pull them out the front.

sounds alot more difficult than it really is.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 03-14-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: external oil pumps lines