1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

A few different questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM
ab2008 is on a distinguished road
Default A few different questions...

Hey you all, I've got a few questions in regards to my 94' S-10 Blazer 4.3 "w."

I recently replaced the water pump/thermostat/temp sensor etc on my blazer and am looking to do a few more things to make it an overall better vehicle for my needs/wants etc. I am in no way looking for performance advice etc, and am perfectly content in it staying "original" as far as the engine goes and whatnot.

1.) My AC does not work. To even further address this issue the vents don't work either. Only the defrost/and floor work and I've tried looking for vacuum lines under the hood but the ones behind the distributor cap next to the firewall are so far out of reach and are an absolute mess... is there any easy way to get to them without looking like I need to pull the intake off lol? And a few more things in regards to the AC.. when I turn the ac on, it feels like it's trying to cycle, and you can feel the engine rev up (for lack of a better term?) and then back down and it does that over and over and you can really tell it's a strain on the motor when pulling the hill in front of my house.

2.) None of my windows except my driver side want to go down, or they go down very little and stop after an inch or two and then wont work again for a few hours.

3.) What's the easiest way to change out the heater core? Water dumping into my passenger side floor board worries me and the smell of antifreeze is awful when the windows don't want to work right.

4.) If I wanted to lift it a little, I'm not talking 6 inches or anything, just a couple for slightly bigger tires - is there any way to do it without spending thousands of dollars and/or it being absolutely terrible wear on the tires? (Mostly looking for suggestions )

Also I've looked at doing a few different things from pulling the carpet up and putting down a hard liner in the floors and various other things. But necessities before accessories I suppose. Any ideas of how to fix mainly the AC thing? I've heard of some people having the Haynes manual and it not really providing anything useful and I really don't want to drop 30$ and it not giving me the information I need - and I've not found any diagram/schematics for the vacuum line and I'm at a loss because I hear a hissing sound and can't make out where it's coming from.

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Beginning Member
blazinNdCHEVy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your a/c compressor could be seizing check if it moves freely whith the engine off you should be ablt to spin it with moderate force just make sure your holding onto the center of the cluth were it mounts to the compressor.

There is a thread if not a couple on replacing the heater core just go to the search and type it in.

Your window motors could be worn out or a bad regulator but yours sounds more like the motors.

You can crank the torsion bars a little I belive theres a thread on that to so again search lol.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
ab2008 is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks blazin, I'll get out today and loosen the belt and try what you suggested as all I did when it was off was just try to turn it where the belt was and was moving freely. Appreciate the quick response!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member
blazinNdCHEVy is on a distinguished road

the belt shouldn't have any effect on the compressor moving since the clutch should be disengaged. if the clutch is seized to the compressor then that would be a good place to start

Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Beginning Member
cadaver666 is an unknown quantity at this point

with the windows try greasing them up alittle, or check the power at the main switch on the drivers door, should be 12 amps I believe. as far as lifting it, I suggest a 3' body lift, they are around $125 bushings and bolts, no rear bumper hangers though.