1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Finally!!!.... but what's this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

And, yes. A broken ECT sensor can indeed produce a bad idle and high fuel consumption.

It should run smooth when starting cold and could have a high idle when warming up instead of the idle being high at cold engine and getting back to normal while warming up.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:17 AM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

Consistently high all the time, cold, warm, parked, driving, stopped..... even in my sleep. :-)

Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I agree with error_401. If you have a problem with your ECT it can cause high idle as more fuel is added when the engine thinks that it needs to compensate for colder denser air. You can check for vacuum leaks at the same time, but focus on determining if the ECT or the circuit is bad or if it's just the gauge.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Starting Member

I think I'm just going to replace it just in case. They're not that expensive and I'm sure it has been overlooked for a while. I'm pretty sure most if not all of the sensors have been neglected so I'll probably just swap them all out. May clear up that idiot light that comes and goes. Any suggestions on parts recommended or parts to stay away from?

Old 02-03-2018, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

ever check the ide air control yet?

Old 02-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Starting Member

No, I haven't gotten a chance to yet. I commute a lot between NJ & PA, and generally work 3-11, 11-7. In addition to not having a garage to work in, the weather hasn't been conducive for working on your vehicle. I do want to get out there and at least try to clean it to see if it will make a difference. That and check the vacuum lines as I see there are a few other things not working. I've only had it on the road about 2-3 weeks now so I'm still discovering it's peculiarities.
Thanks for asking, I will post my findings when I get some.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:45 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Temp sensor should still let it go into normal idle.
IAC could be the culprit

Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by error_401
Temp sensor should still let it go into normal idle.
IAC could be the culprit
Hopefully weather will be permitting tomorrow. I'll be taking that out and cleaning it.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Starting Member

So I took it out (IAC sensor), sprayed it with carb/choke cleaner and put it back. It didn't have a gasket although the Haynes manual said it did. Not sure if the plunger was supposed to move or not either, but it didn't. It seems as though it may have helped but I'm not sure as I don't have an RPM gauge, and I need an exhaust TERRIBLY.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Hey Lefet, I had some time so was catching up on your tread. Did you ever have any more luck?

I'm no expert on the IAC, but that missing gasket could be a big vacuum leak. Pretty sure it's suppose to be there. A couple other things came to mind after reading through your thread.

If your exhaust is really that bad it could be throwing off your o2 sensor. I doubt this is the primary issue, but could be contributing.

Have you closely inspected the throttle body? Might be work checking to make sure it's able to fully close at idle. . . . Mine has a spot at about 25-30% throttle where it "catches" but I haven't gotten to diagnosing it yet.

Quick Reply: Finally!!!.... but what's this?