1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Finally!!!.... but what's this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

@KnightBlazer: Yes, the exhaust is really that bad. The ends of the muffler are rusted and open. I tried some quick fix aluminum HVAC tape on it but it came off a day later. It's also missing the tailpipe. I'm sure there are other little holes along the way. Rockauto has the whole system for $120.00 So I'll be ordering it this week. I really can't do much until I take care of that. While I'm at it, I will probably order new sensors too as I'm sure they've been neglected over the years. How can I tell which O2 sensor I need? (Upstrem/down, 3 lead, 4 lead?) Rockauto has a couple of different ones. I think everyone says stick with AC Delco.
As for the TB, I'm going to give it a good cleaning once I get the other stuff, do it all at once. It didn't look that bad when i did had it open. I think you can see it in the pictures. What's your opinion of deleting that flange/flap, inside the TB?

Thanks for catching up.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

@KnightBlazer: Yes, the exhaust is really that bad. The ends of the muffler are rusted and open. I tried some quick fix aluminum HVAC tape on it but it came off a day later. It's also missing the tailpipe. I'm sure there are other little holes along the way. Rockauto has the whole system for $120.00 So I'll be ordering it this week. I really can't do much until I take care of that. While I'm at it, I will probably order new sensors too as I'm sure they've been neglected over the years. How can I tell which O2 sensor I need? (Upstrem/down, 3 lead, 4 lead?) Rockauto has a couple of different ones. I think everyone says stick with AC Delco.
As for the TB, I'm going to give it a good cleaning once I get the other stuff, do it all at once. It didn't look that bad when I had it open. I think you can see it in the pictures. What's your opinion of deleting that flange/flap, inside the TB?

Thanks for catching up.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:36 PM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

I hear ya. . mine is not much better. That's a good price for what I've seen.

It would be best to check the o2, but I know you don't have the best weather, or place to work. I had one, of the 3 wire versions on mine. . . after I had originally ordered 2x 4 wire sensors.

Brand wise, prob best to stick with Delco. I've had good and back luck with aftermarket stuff, but the same is true for Delco for me lately.

Sorry I didn't see you picture. I didn't realize you'd had the TB open before, it's probably not sticking then. Was just something I thought of that might have gotten overlooked.

I don't think I'm familiar with the delete. . haven't really looked into modifying the TB yet. . But any improvement in airflow should be good in theory.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Kinda figured as much. (Looking at tbe old one.)

No worries mate! I'll let you know how I make out. And with that 5% discount from Rockauto , I'll save even more!....... LOVE if!
My only concern at the moment is that double post. Leave it to me to figure out a way of messing things up!,!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:55 AM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lefet
Kinda figured as much. (Looking at tbe old one.)

No worries mate! I'll let you know how I make out. And with that 5% discount from Rockauto , I'll save even more!....... LOVE if!
My only concern at the moment is that double post. Leave it to me to figure out a way of messing things up!,!
Good Luck, Hope it warms up a little for you, and that you are able to make more progress with the fix.

I've had mine double post before. . not sure why it does it, but you should be able to edit and delete one of them.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:26 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

If the O2 sensor is still good I would leave it in place and not touch it. Most probably it's going to break the very moment you start messing with it. If the rust is bad.

Your exhaust is broken starting after the Y-pipe is it? If it is leaking already after the headers than I would change that too and with it the O2.

The 1994 with TBI most probably has only a non-heated one. But there could be also the heated one. The first difference is that the heated one has three wires while the non-heated has only two.

The trouble with our 1994 trucks is that they did a mix on the S/T VIN Z pickups and utilities trucks which is nowhere to be found in the manuals. I always have to look up both to figure out things.
So, no luck. The manual is not telling me exactly but it could be a heated one.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by error_401
If the O2 sensor is still good I would leave it in place and not touch it. Most probably it's going to break the very moment you start messing with it. If the rust is bad.

Your exhaust is broken starting after the Y-pipe is it? If it is leaking already after the headers than I would change that too and with it the O2.

The 1994 with TBI most probably has only a non-heated one. But there could be also the heated one. The first difference is that the heated one has three wires while the non-heated has only two.

The trouble with our 1994 trucks is that they did a mix on the S/T VIN Z pickups and utilities trucks which is nowhere to be found in the manuals. I always have to look up both to figure out things.
So, no luck. The manual is not telling me exactly but it could be a heated one.
I believe it's bad from the muffler on. Not sure much behind the muffler. I know the catalytic converter had a shield that's just laying on top of it, I hope that's still good. I was going to replace it with this:
Exhaust System
I tried looking for the 02 senser but don't think I found it. I found something but not sure that it was that. It didn't look like it came out at all. I wasn't able to really "get up under there" as I only had a little tiny Walmart floor jack with no jack stands. So I couldn't push my way under there too much. Would it be up closer to the headers? I know the book (Haynes) I have says it's on the left side of the engine.
On another note, I don't think the IAC had a gasket. I was working on my nephews car and theirs didn't have one, and when I look them up on Rockauto, they don't seem to come with one. ( Here )
They say we're getting rain the next 5 days so it will probably be a while before I get to do anything, but I'll let you know.