1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ft. Lb. torque for intake manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default ft. Lb. torque for intake manifold bolts

I don't have a chilton's and don't really want to buy one. Could some who has one pleez tell me what foot pounds I should torque my intake manifold bolts down to when I put it back so as to not crack my gasket? All the tutorials show you how to do the fuel regulator but don't bother to tell you ft. lb.'s to retorque the intake back on to. I would think it's important to get it right. Also, the there a pattern I should fallow whentightening them back down, or does it not matter?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ft. Lb. torque for intake manifold bolts

Would be easier if you would let us know what it is you are driving.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

The intake manifold bots torque spec depend on the year because they changed what the intake was made out of. ~35 ft. lbs

[IMG]local://upfiles/151/C33637E3A22B4572B0FCA9F903635C2B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Starting Member

I'm so sorry, I'm better then that. I have a 93 s-10 blazer 4.3 CPI 4x4 engine W aluminum intake.

A side ?. Anyone know of a tutorial for I think the guy said honing or I would say portingyour intake manifold at the EGR to prevent carbon build up in the EGR?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably smooth out the walls of the EGR valve passages to prevent the carbon from sticking to begin with, but you would have to do that all the way through the supply passage for the EGR valve.

And yeah, the lower intake manifold bolts for the CPI motor are 35ftlb and the upper plenum bolts get 124inlb. Check out the pictures below for the proper tightening sequence. Generally, you will want to go half the recommended torque on a first pass, then the full amount on the second pass when you are working with an aluminum peice. With the SCFI lower intake, it is recommended to go in 3 steps due to the intake gasket construction. This ensures an even pressure across the entire gasket.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Starting Member

Can I add what you just posted to this tutorial for everyone intrested, here is the link.
https://blazerforum.com/m_65358/tm.htm

Thanks for the help and excellent and indepth info. So I'll try to torque it to 10.33333333 ft.lbs. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

I was going to look for that article when I got a bit of free time (If you guys would stop posting so much!!), but you beat me to it.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Starting Member

I do my research before I ask questions. So I'll try to torque it to 10.33333333 ft.lbs. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Starting Member

well it's all done! Torqued all the bolts to 10ft.lbs, thanks for the help. My car finally idle's without bogging constantly. I got the help! Part # 55162 fuel regulator and everythings better, but for how long? Hopefully this helps the gas milage.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Starting Member

Of course I go on vacation and come back and my car runs like crap. It ran fine and accelerated fine right after I repaired the regulator and then I leave for a week and now this. I'm thinking maybe the plenum gasket is notsealed completely and is leaking. I torqued all the bolts to 10ft. lbs. and some of them dident seem to snug down to well and I'm thinking some might be partially striped and causing a leak. Anyone know how the car would run with a plenum gasket leak? Acceleration is slow and the car will bog a little bit. Maybe it could be something elsein the fuel linenow that I fixed the the regulator leak. Any ideas or a way to pressure test my intake manifold to test the plenum would help?