1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Gas leak/ gas tank replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road
Default Gas leak/ gas tank replacement...

So, I noticed today that my gas tank is leaking. I thought it was just getting real bad mileage (8 mpg), but I noticed a leak... well more like gas pouring out. Not litterally, but you get the idea. I've also been smelling gas. Didn't think much of it because it was just my first tank and figured the the gas station attendant spilled or something.

I checked under the truck today after it had been sitting for about eight hours and there was a puddle of gas under it about six to ten inches in diameter and I could clearly see gas leaking from under the tank (though, I couldn't see the tank itself as it looks like it has some sort of cover over it.

So, I'm calling my mechanic in the morning to see if he can take a look and confirm it is the tank that is leaking. It didn't leak when I bought it, so it must have just started. Maybe it was rusted out after sitting for a year and when I put gas in it for the first time that was too much of a load for it?

So. If it does end up being the gas tank that is leaking, how hard would it be to replace. My other problem is that I have already put all my money into the truck. I don't get paid for another month or so. Freelance work seems to suck that way. My mechanic mentioned he needed a new logo designed. Maybe I can work out a trade. That'd be awesome because I don't really have the time to do it myself.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:52 AM
aggirl is on a distinguished road

Mine also developed a leak. I know it is at the top of the tank, if filled, about a quarter tank will leak out. I personally, don't have the money right now either. Mine is getting a complete paint job and bodywork done. Try not filling the tank for a quick fix. If you do have to replace the tank, I recomend replacing the fuel punp as well. If you have to drop the tank anyway, it would be be easy preventative maintenance.
Tanks are not hard to drop. I have never had to do it on my Blazer, but on a mustang (couple of times), Bronco, and a Regal. Couple of hour job, get a different tank at a junk yard, test it with some water before instalation. Dry it well of course before instalation.
Heather

Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not that bad a job, you just have to be careful not to damage the fuel line connection stuff, electrical connection and ground strap (drop it a little, disconnect and drop the rest of the way).

I'd get a replacement tank at a junkyard and pop it back up. Around here, tanks go for $26 at the pick-n-pulls.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I found that it is indeed a leak from a high point in the tank. If I fill it more than half tank it leaks. I just landed an awesome art job, so I'm buying a new 20 gal. plastic tank. Its a good thing the work came along just as I needed it.