1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

H6054 to H4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H6054 to H4 conversion

So I've been driving more at night lately in the bucket, and the headlights leave some room to be desired in the way of lighting on the ground now that it's cold and snowing here. I've always wanted to do some headlight conversion that wasn't too tacky or obvious like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-83...Q5fAccessories, but I wouldn't rule these out since I've seen them in regular chrome as opposed to these black chrome/tinted style ones.

I also like something more along the lines of thesehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIAMO...Q5fAccessories which are regular headlights, or these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89...Q5fAccessories which are another style of projector. Both of these ebayers headlights apparently includes the adapter harness to convert from H6054 to the included H4 bulbs and he's got nothing but positive reviews of basically every headlight he's sold, w/ the exception of one person saying the projector style kind of blocked the lighting output. The term "Plug and Play" gets abused like no other, so is it really true that I can simply swap in these headlights, plug in a little harness that changes my connector and be off and running w/ better lighting on the road?

I've done a search and came up w/ varying opinions and either pos/neg results. I've seen it mentioned about some other aftermarket harness that does something to bypass the power via the headlight switch to give the headlights more direct power...is this really needed? If it'll help that H4 bulb shine all the much brighter, wouldn't it just be easier to stick w/ my H6054's and do this wiring change so they'll be bright and I won't have to spend $20 for new headlights?

Looking for concrete evidence of what works, what doesn't, and hopefully links to other ebay listings if the ones I listed above have been PROVEN to be garbage via experience, not looking for armchair opinions.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by m5james; 12-09-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point

I swapped over to the Halogen lights and use a 55/130 bulb. They are very bright and they say that they're for off-road use only but I found that if they are ajusted properly you only get flashed by on-coming traffic every now and then...lol. The local police use 50/120's so I'm not far off them. On high beams they are fantastic...I live in a rural area with lots of deer, dogs, etc. and there isn't a stretch of road that I can't see to the end of. The only thing was after being on high beams for 8-10 mins. the dash light switch would be almost hot to the touch, to solve this I got a kit from LMC truck ( under $30 ) that pulls all the bulb power direct from the battery and there is no cutting / splicing involved at all. Simply unplug the harness from the bulb and plug it into the new harness, then run a power / ground to the battery, there are little relays you need to mount under the hood somewhere but there's lots of slack in the harness to put it anyplace under the hood. Again..these H4's are fantastic, I think they are as good or better than the projector lights and way cheaper. My whole swap, lights, bulbs and harness was under $150. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

These with silverstars, I have PIAA bulbs in them right now and they are great but I got them for super cheap. They aint bad but not worth the price compared to the silverstars I had. Make sure you either get or make a headlight relay harness, its surprising how much it also helps. I also don't have the stupid blue bulb wired up. Just left it in there to seal the hole up.

You don't want the projectors or black lens. Search as I've explained why many times and yes I've had about every one of them.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i had a set of the Hella H4 conversion lenses in my '92 for almost 6 years.

i ran the PIAA Super Whites 65/145 in them, never had an issue with on coming flashers (i was smart enough to adjust my lights down slightly, right off the bat), and i certainly never had an issue with my switch over heating, or the lights needing any extra power (in refrence to the relay kit, but always a good idea).

i have always driven with my HL on 24/7, and as i've already said, never had any issues with the lights i put in.

and talk about being able to see! it was like daylight (seriously!).

that's just my nickel of info for ya.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 AM

So it seems the consensus is that the projectors (i was hoping for a nice right angle beam cutoff like the HID's in my BMW's) are out, and the black ones because they decrease light output. Of the links I posted and for those of you w/ these conversion lights, did you happen to buy from the same buyers or do the crystal clear ones I posted look any different? For $20 to include the headlight itself, a set of bulbs and wiring harnesses to converted from H6054 prongs to the H4, it sounds like a good deal.

Last edited by m5james; 12-13-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i bought my Hella's & PIAA bulbs from a local performance shop. even had the bulbs replaced under warrenty about 9 or 10 months later.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:36 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I got my housings from ebay but its been so long ago I couldn't tell you who I got them from.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM

That's fine, I'll just get them from the guy I posted who includes the adapter harness and everything in a complete package for $21 shipped. Once they arrive i'll do some garage wall before and after pics of the beam pattern.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 PM

So I never got around to ordering the headlight conversion kit, but I did order some HID's from the same HIDExtra.com sponsor we have here. I got an H3/9004 kit for my bike, but since I won't need to use them on the bike for another few months. I'm curious to see who's not only done the headlight conversion, but also did HID's in their conversion headlights. I'm just worried about the bulb being in the right place and that the light is focused where it should be, which is what originally prompted to me to ask the difference between the normal vs projector version.

Neo, I'm browing your threads now...

Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I just purchased Hella DOT Vision Plus conversion headalights from Auto Barn. Hella conversion headlights are more expensive but are high quality. I also got the wire harness from ebay. The DOT version uses 9003 bulbs while the E-Code version uses H4 bulbs and have a slightly different pattern both versions are the same price. I am very happy and if I ever decide to install HID's I have the headlight and harness in place. I am very pleased with the llight output of the DOT Vision Plus.

Quick Reply: H6054 to H4 conversion