1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

HELP! 87 s10 blazer 5 spd no drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
90in87 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! 87 s10 blazer 5 spd no drive

hey forum, how's everybody doin?? im experiencing a grinding whirring noise in basically any gear forward or reverse, 2hi or 4hi/lo goes away in nuetral on transfer case, but i cant drive it if it wont move on its own. i did just finish the oil pan and seal, along with valve cover gaskets.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member
Kainon is on a distinguished road

could be either, transmission, transfer case or rear end.

if you put in 4wd and still doesn't move, then the problem is transfer case or transmission

Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Beginning Member
pyro_dude is on a distinguished road

it sounds like a transmission problem to me. being A.T.R.A. certified, it sounds like for some reason the drive clutches arent engaging properly. This could be a valve body problem, and to fix it, youd have to pull the valve body, thouroughly clean it in good solvent, and then check all the valves to make sure they move freely. It could just have alot of debris in it, so id take and clean the whole valve body and the spacer plate in solvent and see if that helps. I hope this helps. -edit- sorry I forgot to mention, watch sout for the check ***** in the valve body, they look like ball bearings, and they like to get lost very easily, so when you remove the valve body, be careful not to lose those little suckers, coz if you do, it wont function properly upon reassembly.

Last edited by pyro_dude; 01-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 90in87
hey forum, how's everybody doin?? im experiencing a grinding whirring noise in basically any gear forward or reverse, 2hi or 4hi/lo goes away in nuetral on transfer case, but i cant drive it if it wont move on its own. i did just finish the oil pan and seal, along with valve cover gaskets.
that's a little confusing there. you mention it makes the noises in any gear, in any range, yet you imply that you're unable to make it move.

it sounds like you have some bearings gone. either in the t-case, which it sounds like it is (due to the neutral position removing the sound).

but these 5 speeds are known for failure. @ least they are with me.

Originally Posted by pyro_dude
it sounds like a transmission problem to me. being A.T.R.A. certified, it sounds like for some reason the drive clutches arent engaging properly. This could be a valve body problem, and to fix it, youd have to pull the valve body, thouroughly clean it in good solvent, and then check all the valves to make sure they move freely. It could just have alot of debris in it, so id take and clean the whole valve body and the spacer plate in solvent and see if that helps. I hope this helps. -edit- sorry I forgot to mention, watch sout for the check ***** in the valve body, they look like ball bearings, and they like to get lost very easily, so when you remove the valve body, be careful not to lose those little suckers, coz if you do, it wont function properly upon reassembly.
ummm.....did you happen to notice this..............."HELP! 87 s10 blazer 5 spd no drive "?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for info, i'll be crawlin around under it in a bit here, still researching and finding out how much i want to spend to get what outta what. also waiting to see what joys taxes may bring (will be my funds) i do have two transfer case and auto transmission hiding somewhere.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member

i was driving down the road, shifted to 4th gear and it noise started and it lost any forward momentum, shifted down to 3rd with rpm, no change, shifted down to 2, still no go, stopped tried 1st, nothing but noise, tried reverse it lerched and then made just noise with no go, 4 hi, it moved slightly then just made noise, fwd 6 inches then noise, reverse 6 in then noise, 4 lo, nothing happend just noise, nuetral on transfer case was only way to be rid of noise and we all know, it takes time to get anywhere in nuetral. but its home now and in the garage up on blocks. will post as i figure more out.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Beginning Member

ended up being the clutch disc, its all ready to be put together but theres a crack on the transmission shaft and wondering where i find just the one part or if there is easy fix, dont want to run it as is since its already apart.