1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

help warms up then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member
dgh91 is on a distinguished road
Default help warms up then dies

i have 92 blazer with 4.3 vortec cpi and it runs GREAT untill it warms up about 150-160 me and my shop teacher have been working on for 4 days now trying to figure out what it is we have test the map,tps and air idle control and they are perfect fuel pressure is 58psi and it has a brand new filter i was told by the dealer ship that it could be the egr opening up or staying open and causing it to die or it could be my 02 sensor sending the wrong info to the pcm i really like this truck and want to fix it if you got any ideas let me know ill be glad to try them out thanks daniel

Old 05-23-2009, 05:39 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Try cleaning the EGR first. Prime suspect.

If the O2 sensor is acting up I would think you'd get a SES code.

Check the fuel pressure with switch on, engine not running, then shut the key off and see if the pressure stays within 3-5 psi of where you started.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Beginning Member

thanks alot ill start taking it apart now i really want this to run lol

Old 05-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Beginning Member

whats the best way to clean the egr ?

Old 05-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Some carbon cleaner and a tooth brush is what I have always used. The area you are very interested in is where the pintle seals against the main housing. You will have to push the pintle back in a bit to get this area clean.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

ok i did all that and now today it started doing it again should i clean it again or just replace it or could it be something its like 75* out today to

Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Beginning Member
Default i dont what it is help!!!

im still haveing the same problem when it warms up it dies ive replaced the tps aic and egr i did a fuel pressure test a week ago and it was good but the last two days it doenst want to run and it been really warm two so i dont know if thats apart of it it almost sounds like it loading up too

thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

need more info .. is it over heating? is it idling rough, is it going any weird gauge readings, is it spitting any codes i.e. the check engine light on? or any other info?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member

the check engine light is on but only for the knock sensor its not over heating and the gauges are all reading the same its idles great and when i give it gas its when it seems like it loading up but when i let off it idles back to normal im gunna check my fuel filter could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Beginning Member
Default my last post was confusing

i have a 92 4.3 cpi a week ago it would warm up and the die so i cleaned the egr and replaced the iac the pintle shot out of it so after i did that it ran great didnt have any problems and now yesterday i was driving down the road and it just cut out and when i let off the gas it would idle fine but as soon as i gave it gas it would cut out then pick back up and do fine till i let off the gas and got back on it ive replaced the tps iac and today i replaced the egr the fuel filter was replaced 4 months ago could it be the warm weather when it ran and drove good it was below 60 and the past to days it has been in the 70s give me some ideas and ill try them

thanks alot daniel

Quick Reply: help warms up then dies