1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Help!! What Speedo Do I Need... mechanical or electrical

Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member
mandng0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! What Speedo Do I Need... mechanical or electrical

Hey guys, I have a 92 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3/700r4/233c. My motor just recently blew and Im replacing it with a older motor so no more tbi if i go that route

If I do this rather than parting it out, Im thinking about going with aftermarket gauges and am curious to know what type of speedo I need (mechanical or electrical).

I have the slightest clue how a speedo will work off the tcase so if someone can shed light on me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Marcus

Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you change the cluster and everything associated to work with a mechanical speedo...

You really will need to see how the speedometer is controlled. On most of the early electronic speedo vehicles, the signal feeds to a module which then controls the speedometer in the cluster.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Unless you change the cluster and everything associated to work with a mechanical speedo...

You really will need to see how the speedometer is controlled. On most of the early electronic speedo vehicles, the signal feeds to a module which then controls the speedometer in the cluster.
Does this mean I can just purchase a mechanical speedo and it should hook right up? I have the slightest clue what I will have to do other than the basic "plug and play" which im looking and hoping to do.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What I am saying is that I do not know that the electronic speedo you currently have is tied to the ECU that currently runs your engine.

You could just put another TBI motor in, flash the ECU program to suit the new motor (v8?) and not worry about any of the other junk.

If you wanted to go to a mechanical speedo, then you would have to find parts and make them work.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Kyle... Ive been away from the PC for a few days and couldnt get back.

I need to find the parts to convert to mechanical for the (yes) carbed V8.