1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

High beam does not work low does

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Amelia23 is on a distinguished road
Default High beam does not work low does

I have a 1991 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4. The high beams on the passenger side burned out, but I still have low beams. When I went to NAPA, they sent me the glass headlight.(the part you see on the outside of the blazer. I am a total beginner on repairs, but wouldn't it just be a lightbult problem, meaning that I would only need a bulb or is everything built in to the new headlight?

My other question is how do I take the light out?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond.

Amelia23

Last edited by Amelia23; 08-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

first gens use sealed beam headlights, the whole unit, glass and bulb is one. Its real easy to take out, if you look at the headlight, you will see a metal trim piece around the headlight, held on by 4 screws, take out those 4 screws, and that trim piece will come out and the headlight will come out with the connector on the back, unhook, installation is reverse of removal.

Make sure you just remove the 4 screws on either corner of the trim piece, there are 2 other screws there, at the top in the center, and the inside near the grill at the center as well, those are adjustment screws, basically, only remove the screws that are at the corners of the light

Sorry if this is confusing, I am terrible at explaining things, if you are confused, let me know.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Thank you for your response.
I just went out to look at the headlight and I have 2 screws on top and 1 screw on the bottom. There is another hole at the bottom where the screw must have fallen out. It looks the same as the top. I can see one screw on the right side in the middle.

So which ones do I remove?

Amelia

Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Sweet, that looks just like where my screws are located, except the one that fell out. Does it unhook easily?

Amelia

Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran

It unhooks very easily.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Thank you for all your help and picture. Got the job done. The plug part was different from the old one, but it works. Tomorrow I need to change the oil. It was low the other day and I couldn't add my usual brand in, so I had to put in a different kind. At least it was synthetic, because that is what I use.

Thank you again. I'm so happy it works!!

Amelia23

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran

No problem, Glad it worked.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Starting Member
DMikKing is on a distinguished road

Would this be the same for an '89 S-10 Blazer 4x4? I don't know if I have high beams though, would it matter if I bought the headlight with both high and low, if I don't have high beams? That seems like a stupid question, but I'm away from my truck right now. Also, are halogen worth the money?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran

Yes this would be the same on your 89.
I do not see why you would not have high beams. to turn on the high beams if you are not aware is you pull back on the multi function switch (left side of the steering wheel) to engage them.
Switching over to the h4 non sealed beam would be worth the money, but its not cheap to do. You have to get the 200mm (7x6) conversion housing, then you need the wiring harness (even though the h4 bulbs are plug and play into the stock sockets) but the power goes through the switch, and pulling the extra current the h4 bulbs need would put stress on your headlight switch
the wiring harness hooks directly to the battery and pulls power right from there, and has some relays.

so for the halogen (h4) conversion, you would need
1- 7x6 (200mm) headlight housings
2- two h4 bulbs
3- the wiring harness (which can be found on lmc truck)

Quick Reply: High beam does not work low does